Confliction

Bonnie sat perched on the roof terrace of her apartment building. Nestled neatly amongst the community gardens, she drowned out the distant honks of the bustling New York streets below.

The quiet coo of pigeons, settling in for the night over supper, and the gentle buzz of the bees fluttering from flower to flower, grasping at the final drops of nectar, formed the soundtrack for her evening thus far. A perfect symphony.

Big blue eyes transfixed by the vermillion clouds dropping behind the buildings adjacent. Basking in the final colours of the evening sun, ploughing its way through the sky to meet its love. Coming within inches, the burning flames stretched to kiss the horizon.

Finally making contact, Bonnie's lips quirked into a gentle smile, drinking in the last rays of warmth before the chill of the moon captured the city. While she found the dark sky just as bewitching, the constellations popping out of their midnight backdrop never seemed as bright. If she hadn't pursued her dreams in the big city, she'd never have given that damned light pollution a first or second thought.

The petals that scattered the gardens surrounding Bonnie began to close for the night, curling in on themselves. A bone-chilling breeze picked up.

Promptly torn from her pondering, she slammed the laboratory notebook closed. Standing from her spot, Bonnie shook the remnants of her water bottle over the sleeping pansies—her contribution to the garden.

Jolted out of her routine, an alarm sounded from the depths of her pockets.

"Fuck me," Bonnie gasped, clutching over her heart as her other hand cradled her phone. Tapping the green circle, she held it to her ear. "Hello? Bonnie Mitchell speaking."

"Dr. Mitchell, a pleasure to finally speak with you," the deep voice charmed, oozing formality and a certain ego. "This is Alexander Pierce calling."

"I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with the name. Do you mind telling me how you got my number?" Bonnie tucked the heavy, leatherbound book under her arm. Pinning her phone between her shoulder and ear, she bound her fuzzy blanket into her arms. Clinging to the two essentials tightly, she waltzed her way off of the terrace.

"Of course. I'm working with the finest institute of technology New York has ever seen. I recently read over your PhD paper on mutant technology and genotherapy," Alexander stated down the line, crisp and concise. He sounded almost proud as he rattled of his spiel. Although Bonnie had to admit, it was flattering receiving praise for the 206-page mammoth. Even more flattering, he'd taken the time to read the chunky thesis. "We're looking at conducting further study into the area and your knowledge would be a real asset to our team."

"I'm entirely flattered, Mr. Pierce." Bonnie locked the door to the terrace behind her, bouncing down the steel staircase toward her apartment. "Do you mind me asking what institute of technology you're referring to?" Already forming her suspicions about the man's unannounced interest in her studies, Bonnie checked over her shoulder in a fleeting glance.

"I'm working with HYDRA, Dr. Mitchell." And there it was. Bonnie's suspicions confirmed in the four short words uttered down the line.

Pulling the phone from her ear, Bonnie took a sharp inhale before slowly blowing it out. The cool oxygen flooded her lungs, spreading rapidly through her muscular system and calming the gentle shake of her knees.

Figuring she shouldn't leave it too long, Bonnie cooly replied. "Wow, I've never heard of you guys before." Lies. Such a fat fucking lie. "Would I be able to give you my email for more information on the job?" Playing dumb seemed to be the best option in that moment.

"That sounds brilliant, Dr. Mitchell."

Bonnie rattled off her email address to the man, shoving her key into the deadbolt lock of her door, swiftly entering. Considering she now had the eyes of the deadliest organisation of the country watching her, she flicked the lock. Did Pierce really think she didn't know who HYDRA was? Or were they both playing a dangerous game of foolery?