021 | Sunsets, Strawberries and Cygnus

I tip toed up onto the roof of the compound, scanning my gaze across the various gardens and seating arrangements before they settled on Steve. He'd claimed a large outdoor lounge suite with a coffee table in the middle, adorned with bowls and boards of various snacks. Steve himself hadn't noticed me yet, still busy arranging and fidgeting with the items on the table, wanting to get everything exactly right.

As I started making my way toward our little set up, a giddy sensation filled my stomach at the sight of a small pot of pansies. A stupid grin played on my lips as he looked up to greet me.

"Pansies, huh?" I beamed, giving him a little wave as the giddy feeling subsided, being quickly replaced by nerves.

"'Course," Steve grinned at me and stood up, outstretching his arms for a hug. I happily accepted, stepping into his embrace as my arms snaked around his waist.

"How was your day?" I questioned quietly. He gave me a gentle squeeze before letting go, the two of us moving to sit on the couch.

"It was good. Better now. After I called you, Tony rang and had me do the grocery shopping for basically the entire compound," he sighed, picking up one of my hands to hold instead.

"You're joking," I giggled, lacing our fingers.

"Okay, maybe the whole compound was an exaggeration, but that's what it felt like," he mused, watching as he played with my fingers. "How was the rest of your day?"

"Mm. Good. I don't really know what else to say about it," I shrugged, leaning over and picking up a strawberry, dipping it in a small dish of melted chocolate.

"Mm. Do you think it was helpful?" Steve questioned, opting for a breadstick before leaning back into the couch, letting go of my hand to rub my back.

"Yeah, I 'spose," I smiled slightly, leaning into his side. He wrapped a protective arm around my shoulders as I glanced up to the sky, the sun closing in on dusk. 

"That's good, then," Steve hummed, his gaze following mine to look up at the soft clouds, chuckling quietly. "Almost there."

I hummed in response and picked up two strawberries, popping one in my mouth and holding the other out for Steve. He took it, smiling to himself as I tucked myself back into his side, "Thank you."

Half an hour later, Steve and I found ourselves curled up side by side as we gazed up at the slowly appearing stars. I gasped quietly and pointed up to a certain cluster of stars. Steve furrowed his brows and followed my gesture, "What is it?"

"The constellation of Cygnus. She's the Greek God of Balance, believed to be an ascended mortal who mediated the dispute between the Gods of Love and Reason," I gushed, tracing the constellation. I looked to Steve to find he was already watching me, a stupid smile plastered on his face. "What?"

"I'm just enjoying learning more and more about you," Steve hummed.

I laughed quietly as my smile mirrored his, turning onto my front and propping myself up on my elbows, "What've you learnt so far?"

"Well, I've just learnt that you're apparently an expert in the stars and Greek Gods. Other than that, I've discovered you're humble, and you're beautiful, and you pour your heart into everything you do. You have a fascination with pansies and this determination about dancing. You're so selfless and accepting - you respect my boundaries and my past and I'm so thankful for that. Oh, and how could I forget how unbelievably intelligent you are? I think you even baffle Bruce sometimes," Steve chuckled, gazing up at me. A soft red flush tainted my cheeks as he tucked one of my curls behind my ear, moving his hand to gently stroke my cheek.