013 | Pancakes and Small Talk

Both Bruce and I, along with a few other medical staff, waited rather impatiently on the airstrip with an assortment of first aid. Despite neither Bruce, nor I, being medical professionals, we'd both learnt a few things here and there. In one hand, I held an ice pack and in the other, Steve's glasses.

The hull of the quinjet opened and a couple of battered figures trailed down the ramp. Bruce, along with the nurses flocked over to the group as Steve stumbled past them all, his eyes lighting up a little as they landed on me. I just stood back, smiling at him, not wanting to add to the chaos. He gave me a small nod and I waved, stepping over to him and holding the ice pack and glasses out as he chuckled, "Made it back in one piece."

"Yeah. Barely," I laughed as Steve pretended to be offended, clutching a hand over his chest before taking the ice pack and holding it to his eye, leaning over and kissing my cheek. I beamed up at him, my cheeks heating up a little as I carefully took his shield from him, handing him his glasses.

"Thank you," he smiled and propped the glasses on the top of his head, watching me as he mused, "You look good with my shield."

"Not nearly as good as you," I giggled as we started making our way back to the compound, Steve wrapping an arm around my shoulders and playfully pulling me into his side.

"Just kiss already," Bucky called after us before getting a hard thump from Nat, "Ow!"

"Leave them alone," she hissed before laughing, "Only I get to make fun of Bonnie."

"Hypocrite," Bucky mumbled as Sam just laughed, a nurse helping them back toward the compound.

I just laughed at the two of them, shaking my head as Steve's cheeks flushed and he looked to his feet, "They're ridiculous."

I hummed in response, leaning into his side as I fiddled with the straps of the shield, smiling to myself, "Are you gonna be alright for jazz tomorrow?"

Steve nodded almost frantically as he reassured me, "I'll be right as rain. I wouldn't miss tomorrow night for the world."

"Yes you would. It's your job," I teased, tracing my fingers lightly over the details of the star on his shield.

"You know what I mean," he chuckled as we meandered back up towards Nat and I's floor. I hadn't even noticed where he'd taken us until we were stepping out into the foyer of our floor. "I figured we could get showered and changed and I'll meet you back here for a late breakfast?"

"Yeah, sounds good. Although, Nat's definitely the better cook out of the two of us," I smiled, stepping out of his embrace before holding the shield out for him. He carefully pulled it from my arm before catching my hand, placing a kiss on the back of it.

Steve just shrugged as he let go of my hand, stepping back into the elevator, "I'll help you. See you in a bit."

"Bye," I giggled, doing a little finger wave to him as the doors rolled closed. He mimicked my wave until the doors closed. What a cutie.

All giddy, I skipped off to my room to shower and change. Half an hour later, I wondered out of my bedroom to find Steve already mixing pancake batter in the kitchen. He looked up and waved, a stupid smile spreading over his lips.

"Hey," I smiled, walking over to the kitchen as I tilted my head, peering over his shoulder, "Pancakes?"

"Uh huh," Steve nodded as he moved over to the stove, humming quietly, "I made enough batter for Nat in case she comes back."