002 | Welcoming Arms

Following Tony and Bruce's elaborate briefing on HYDRA's recent tactics and the team's suspicion of the organisation's next plan, Tony suggested I get to meet The Avengers, considering I'd be working closely with Tony's team for a week or two as a 'potential HYDRA insider.' I'd been instructed to keep communication between myself and Pierce 'normal' and 'casual', as if I was actually considering the position.

I followed closely behind Tony as he snaked his way around the building, snacking on his blueberries as he walked. "FRIDAY, call all present Avengers to the meeting room," he announced before holding the packet of blueberries out to me, gesturing for me to take one.

"Oh, I'm okay. Thank you, though," I smiled graciously before continuing to marvel at the building we were currently walking through.

"Suit yourself," Tony shrugged before taking the last blueberry and chucking the small packet out. Rounding the next corner, a large meeting room came into my view. The glass panels revealed a small gathering around a large table, of which I assumed were The Avengers - although, outside of their armoured costumes, they didn't look much different to any civilian you'd see on the street. As we crept closer, I began to make out each of their faces. Cap, Hawkeye, Black Widow, The Winter Soldier, Falcon and Bruce's friendly expression.

Tony opened the door and walked in, leaving me to quietly step in behind him. "Right, team, new intel on HYDRA has come in through the form of..." He trailed off and looked over his shoulder to me, exuberantly gesturing up and down at me, "This is Bonnie Mitchell, she's a Doctor of Biomedical Engineering and has been studying 'mutant technology' and genotherapy closely for the past 4 years. HYDRA approached her with a job of sorts and she's going to be our woman on the inside for the next few weeks. I expect you all to welcome her kindly."

I gave them all a small wave before letting out a quiet, "Hi. Nice to meet you all." I clamped my shaking hands together once more as I smiled politely at them. Jesus, were they intimidating.

Cap gave me a small nod before a loud "Hi! I'm Natasha" echoed through the room. The red headed woman cheered and hopped up from her seat, walking over and pulling me into a hug as I reciprocated. "Bruce and I are looking forward to picking your brain later, by the way," she laughed while pulling back from the hug, giving me a gentle shove.

"Well, feel free. Although, you might not be able to shut me up once you get me started," I beamed at her as Clint walked over, grasping one of my hands in a handshake.

"Hey, I'm Clint. It's gonna be nice having someone new in the lab to keep these two in line," he gestured to Tony and Bruce, who were in deep conversation.

I giggled and looked over to the two, who now appeared as if they were two deer caught in the headlights. As the three of us laughed, Sam dragged Bucky over, "Hey Bon Bon, I'm Sam and this is the Weiner Soldier," he proded Bucky who disgruntledly shoved his friend.

"Just call me Bucky, not whatever birdbrain said," he smiled as I mirrored his expression, holding a hand over my mouth as I stifled a laugh. I repeated my "it's nice to meet you's," before the five of us engaged in an enthralling conversation over Tony's habit of pulling blueberries out of thin air.

We continued chatting amongst ourselves as Cap made his way to Tony, going unnoticed by our mother's meeting on the other side of the room. Cap glanced over to us before ducking his head beside Bruce and Tony, speaking in a low mumble, "Do you two really think it's such a good idea bringing some girl in off the streets? For all we know, she could be duping us."

"Listen, Steve, we know that, but we can't be taking any chances if HYDRA are plotting something. Plus, she's not just some girl off the streets, she's got history, and a good one at that," Bruce interjected, giving him a small shrug.

"Besides, it's not like we're suddenly going to spill all of our knowledge to her, Rogers. The risks have been assessed, and this is the most optimistic outcome, okay? Plus, she might give us some insight into her research if we're lucky," Tony shrugged, pulling another packet of blueberries from the table and offering them to Bruce, who took one and mouthed his thanks.

"All I'm saying is I don't trust her, Tony," Steve spoke lowly again, an uneasy expression spreading across his face as he reached for a blueberry.

"Hey! Hands off!" Tony half-yelled, swatting the super-soldier's hand away, giving him a half-hearted death stare as the five of us turned our attention to the three men. Steve shook his head as he held a hand over his face, rubbing his brow as Bruce erupted into a fit of laughter.

-

Later that day, Natasha, Bucky and Sam had brought me back to the compound, under strict instructions from Tony to 'get to know me.' We were currently sprawled out on Natasha's couch as Sam quizzed me on random topics.

"Star Wars or Star Trek?"

"Star Trek, any day. For some reason I just don't love Star Wars," I shrugged before popping a piece of popcorn in my mouth, Sam's posture stiffening.

"How can you not like Star Wars?" He seemed disgusted as he watched me, his mouth agape, "Even Buckerooni likes Star Wars."

"I never said I liked it, Sam," Bucky sighed, picking up a piece of popcorn and pegging it at Sam, it hitting him square in the forehead. Sam gasped and moved to grab a handful of popcorn.

"Don't even think about it. At least not in my living room," Nat warned, plonking down on the couch beside me and snatching the popcorn, nestling it between her and myself. I giggled quietly and picked up another piece, popping it in my mouth.

Sam huffed and rolled his eyes at Bucky, crossing his arms as he looked back to me, "Okay, Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings?"

"Oooo, that's a tough one," I furrowed my brows, fiddling with a piece of popcorn as I thought, "You're not gonna let me choose both, are you?"

"Absolutely not," Sam smiled, tilting his head as he watched me, waiting patiently for an answer.

Natasha laughed and leaned over, holding a hand over her lips as she whispered into my ear, "Sam's favourite is Harry Potter." A smirk spread across my lips as I straightened up slightly, wanting to stir Sam up.

"I think I prefer Lord of the Rings, Sammy."

Bucky chuckled quietly to himself as Sam let out an audible gasp, "Listen here, Bon Bon, you better take that back right now."

"Nah, I don't think I will," I stuck my tongue out at him as Nat and Bucky laughed, Buck attempting to hold Sam back as he reached for the popcorn.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. No you don't," Nat grabbed the popcorn, springing up from the couch and bolting to her kitchen.

Sam sprung up after her, pleading, "Natasha, just a handful. Weiner Soldier will pick it up after, I promise."

"Hey!" Bucky called from the couch, throwing his hands in the air.

"Absolutely not," Natasha stated as she tipped the popcorn into the bin, throwing the bowl at Sam.

Sam caught the bowl and laughed, slowly turning to me as he frisbeed the bowl. I squealed and ducked before starting to laugh hysterically as Nat frantically ran after the bowl.

You know, I think I'm gonna enjoy my next couple of weeks surrounded by these idiots.