020 | Meditative Reverie

The next morning, I stirred to the quiet sounds of birds chirping outside my window. The gentle sunlight illuminated my bedroom through the sheer curtains, falling delicately across both mine and Steve's cheeks. My eyes fluttered open at the sound of Steve whining quietly at the light before he shielded his face in the crook of my neck.

A small smile played on my lips before I pressed a soft kiss to his forehead, pulling the blanket up over our heads to shield us from the sunlight. It was dark, sure, but I could still make out the subtle features of his face thanks to the gaps of light peeking around the edges of the fabric. By the time my eyes had adjusted to the darkness, it became clear that Steve was watching me, a giddy smile forming on his lips, "Morning."

"Good morning," I mused, snaking my arms around his neck and snuggling into him. He hummed quietly and wrapped his arms around my waist, moving so his face was mere inches from mine.

A small heat flushed across my cheeks as I leant a little closer to him, nuzzling noses with him as quiet giggles escaped my lips. Steve just grinned and let his eyes flutter shut, scrunching up his nose, "We're settling for Eskimo kisses now, huh?"

"'Course we are. I'd argue it's highly appropriate, Mr. Snowman," I beamed, pressing a light kiss to the tip of his nose as his eyes fluttered open again, his gaze landing on me as his grin only grew wider. "So much for sleeping on the couch last night."

"Yeah, sorry about that," he chuckled.

"It's fine. Probably would've been cold if you did," I mumbled, suddenly thankful for the dark setting as my cheeks flushed an even brighter shade of red.

"So I'm a frosty snowman who somehow radiates warmth, then?" Steve laughed as I nodded, giggling along with him. "Makes total sense."

"Mhm," I mused, gently combing my fingers through his hair, "What d'you want for breakfast, frosty?"

Steve shrugged, this time nuzzling his nose with mine as I scrunched it, whining quietly at him, "You want Eskimo kisses for breakfast?"

Steve laughed and shrugged again, "Surprise me."

"I hate when people say that," I whined, propping myself up slightly, "How does a bacon and egg muffin sound?"

"Almost as good as Eskimo kisses," Steve chuckled as I sat up, the blanket falling from my shoulders and temporary blinding Steve. He winced at the light and held a hand over his eyes, his bottom lip jutting out into a pout.

"Sorry. Here," I hummed, reaching over him for his glasses and gently moving his hand, placing them on his face. Steve fluttered his eyes for a moment as they adjusted before looking to me, a giddy smile playing on his lips again.

"Thanks."

I nodded and gently patted his chest, "Breakfast, then?"

Steve hummed quietly and rolled out of bed before jumping up, grabbing my hand and pulling me out toward the kitchen.

"Morning Mr. and Mrs. Rogers," Bruce called from the couch. Nat erupted into stifled laughter as she waved to us, a bowl of cereal sat neatly in her lap. I rolled my eyes, a stupid smile forming on Steve's lips.

"Good morning Mr. and Mrs. Romanoff," I replied, walking into the kitchen and starting to grab out ingredients and a pan, smiling slightly to myself.

"I hope you two didn't get up to too much mischief last night," Nat teased before taking a sip from her coffee.

I held up my middle finger to her as Steve whined quietly in displeasure, taking my hand in his and pushing my middle finger down. "We didn't," Steve hummed quietly, playing with my fingers while he watched, letting go after a moment to let me continue with breakfast.