012 | One Piece

The sun peaked softly through the curtains as it settled on my skin, the warmth and sudden light had my eyes flickering open to be met with the sweet view of Steve propped against the headboard, glasses adorning his cheeks as his eyes skimmed over the words of his book - To Kill a Mockingbird. I stayed quiet as his fingers subconsciously tangled in the gentle curls of my hair, tracing the slight waves and twirling them around his index finger.

"Good morning," he hummed quietly, the gravel of sleep still prominent in his voice as he evidently felt my gaze on his skin, his eyes staying focused on the page.

A quiet flush spread across my cheeks as I gave him a little wave, smiling to myself, "I thought super-soldiers would've had 20/20 vision."

Steve just laughed as he looked down to me, shrugging his shoulders slightly, "I do. I just scratched my cornea a while back and it's still sensitive. So glasses it is." I opened my mouth to compliment him before closing it again, giving him a small smile and a nod, unsure quite how he'd react to a 'well they're cute' or an 'I like them'.

We fell into a comfortable silence as I propped myself up next to him, leaning my head against his shoulder as my eyes skimmed across the page - he was already pretty deep into the book, so a lot didn't make sense, but I snuggled into him anyway, my typically cold body enjoying the warmth radiating from his skin.

Steve flipped the page as I turned to face him, propping my chin on his shoulder. A sheepish smile played on his lips as he glanced to me out of the corner of his eye before looking back to the book. I giggled quietly at him, gently pulling his glasses off, propping them on my nose and tucking them behind my ears as I looked around the room, one lens was foggy and zoomed while the other was clear as day.

Steve whined quietly as he turned to watch as I looked around the room with wide eyes, "This is mad. It feels like one of my eyes is gonna pop out."

He shrugged, unable to help himself from laughing at me, "They suit you, y'know."

"Absolutely not," I giggled, pulling the glasses off and sitting up a little straighter, carefully putting them back on his face, making sure they were sat atop his ears instead of uncomfortably in them, "I don't suit glasses. They look better on you."

A flush spread across Steve's cheeks as he bashfully smiled down at his book, opening his mouth to give his thanks before FRIDAY's voice abruptly interrupted.

"Captain Rogers, your presence is required immediately. Follow procedure 3, protocol 5," FRIDAY's voice boomed into his room, causing me to jump as I shifted my gaze up to him, the bedside lamp wobbling uneasily. Steve frantically dog-earred his book and flung it onto the small table, jumping out of bed and moving to his wardrobe, taking out the red, white and blue suit.

"Is everything alright? What's procedure 3, protocol 5?" I frowned, not having taken the time to learn the compounds various procedures in my short time living there.

"Uh. Basically we've got enemies on our doorstep," Steve paraphrased, giving me a small smile as he raced into the ensuite to get changed.

My eyes went wide as I sat straight up, fiddling with his duvet cover as I called out to him in concern, "Just make sure you come back in one piece, okay?"

Steve emerged out of the bathroom as he chuckled quietly, "I've got you to patch me up if I don't."

"I'm a geneticist, not a surgeon or a seamstress," I anxiously giggled, shaking my head slightly as my eyes scanned over his uniform. This was the first time I'd seen him wearing it in the flesh, looking him over as my lips parted slightly in admiration.

"I'll come back in one piece, Bonnie," he laughed, shuffling over to the bed and leaning over to me, pressing a soft kiss to my cheek. I smiled at him, my cheeks flushing a royal pink as I picked up one of his hands in my trembling one, giving it a gentle squeeze.