019 | Tired Eyes

Tony had joined Bruce and I in the lab in the late hours of the night following word that Bucky, Clint and Steve were safely on their way home.

"So. Bonnie, how's it going?" Tony peered over my shoulder as my gaze moved from the laptop to the small dish beside me.

"Yeah, good. It's still got a while to go, though. Especially if we're synthesising every sequence," I mused, looking back to my computer screen, continuing to type away at a report.

Tony nodded and fell into a chair beside me, leaning back against the bench, "Mm. How'd the ole razzle dazzle go last night?"I lightly smiled as I looked to him, "You know, being the slow dancing queen that you are."

I giggled as Tony danced a little in his seat, humming "Ooh see that girl, watch her scene, digging the slow dancing queen.."

I rolled my eyes at his shenanigan, continuing to quietly giggle as I shushed him, "It went really well, Meryl."

Tony laughed and turned to me, a small smile forming on his lips, "God you two are sickening. Just call me Cupid."

I rolled my eyes once more and gave him a gentle shove, turning back to the computer.

"Well, I'm gonna call it a night," Bruce announced, standing from his desk. "Bonnie, you don't mind if Nat and I watch a movie in the lounge room, do you? It's date night and I'm eating into precious time," Bruce mused, quickly packing up.

"Yeah, yeah, go ahead. I won't be up for a while yet, anyway," I reassured, throwing him a quick glance, "Have fun."

Bruce nodded and bidded his goodnights before disappearing into the elevator. Tony then turned to me, a small smile on his lips, "How're you finding everything here? I'm sorry for just throwing you into the thick of it."

"Don't apologise, I'm actually really enjoying myself," I smiled, tapping lightly on the mousepad as I thought. "I'd have never gotten these sort of opportunities if I didn't come here."

Tony smiled and nodded, peering at the small jelly disc as he spoke again, "I'm glad. I might have to curate a special position at Stark Industries for a certain Doctor if she keeps her work up."

"Really?" I beamed, looking up to him again as he nodded. The arrangement Tony and I had come to was always temporary. It was only in place until the threat of HYDRA subsided and then I'd be sent back out into downtown New York and it's poorly funded labs. However, to hear he has a little faith in me? That was the second best thing to happen to me since Councillor Pierce's threat.

"I really appreciate it. Thank you, Tony. I'd love to keep working beside you all, as long as you're happy to have me," I smiled, my entire face lighting up.

"'Course. I'll see what I can do," he mused, standing up and patting my back before making his way towards the elevator, "You've been a real asset to the team these past few weeks and I can tell you've helped Bruce greatly."

"Thank you, Tony," I praised as he laughed, stepping into the elevator and shrugging.

"What can I say? I'm a genius," he smiled before giving me a small wave, "Night, Bonnie."

"Goodnight," I called, waving back as my lips curved into an ecstatic grin.

I continued typing away at my report for the following few hours, monitoring the nano-pore's progress as I did so. The keys clicked quietly beneath my fingers as the elevator doors rolled open behind me.

"Hi, the nano-pore's making good progress. I'll give you a proper update in the morning," I called, assuming the figure in the elevator would be Bruce or Tony.