-Brody: Chapter Twenty-Four-

I ride around on my dirt bike, aimlessly. No destination in mind.

In between school, homework, and helping to clean out all of Milton’s sheds, I’ve been scoping out all the usual drug hangouts.

I’ve been down Old Mill road a couple of times, kind of poking around. It’s private property, so I have to be careful. It’s a drug hangout not too many people know about, tucked deep into the corner of a large field, surrounded by thick pines and aspens.

Seemingly of its own accord, my dirt bike makes its way to the turn off for Old Mill road. I pull to the shoulder, my fingers tapping the handlebars in indecision. I decide to stow my bike in some thick underbrush and walk in.

When I finally make my way to the “Grove” I see beer cans, cigarette butts, and a few used needles scattered around.

“Shit,” I whisper to myself.

I know Chase came out here sometimes, he’s into some scary-ass crap, with some scary-ass people.

I hear voices coming my way, I think about running, but it’s too late, Jose and Miguel, cousins, walk through the trees and spot me. They smile at me, sneer would be more correct.

In thick, accented English, Jose says, “Well if it isn’t Brody Dean, coming here for the Dime Special, are we?”

A chill goes down my spine. I try some fake bravado, because, hell, we all know it isn’t real.

“I don’t want anything, man. I just want to know where Chase is.”

Jose and Miguel laugh. The sound of it evil. Honestly, their laughter scares the crap out of me.

“Chase, hmmm, never heard of the little gringo.”

I roll my eyes at the slur, take a step forward and say, “His family’s worried, do you know where Chase went?”

Miguel gets in my face, shoves me back. “Oh, his family’s worried, well let’s roll out the red carpet for ‘em.”

Out of nowhere, Jose yanks me around and sucker punches me in the stomach. I double over in pain, my stomach heaving.

He pulls me up, his fist at the ready, and punches me in the face.

I feel my lip split open, the coppery tang of blood hits my taste buds. I fall to my knees in the dried-up grass, spitting blood.

I stare up at the Gonzalez cousins, their matching star tattoos seeming to come alive under their eyes.

“Get the hell off our property, and when you find that piece of shit kid, let me know. He owes us money.”

I stumble to my feet and run like hell to where I stashed my bike.