-Chase: Chapter Twenty-Seven-

The floor beneath me is cold, cracked concrete. The air is thick and cloying, the smell of meth is strong. Slightly chemical, like a nail salon, or cat urine.

I’m not even sure who’s basement this is.

I feel like I’m having an out of body experience. Like I can see myself from above. I can see smoke curling around my face, the glazed look of pure, drugged satisfaction.

I roll over onto my stomach, see other people snorting and smoking anything they can get their hands on.

I try crawling over to a line of coke someone's snorting, only to realize they are further away than they seem.

I instead come across a girl with glassy eyes, her skin covered in red, angry looking ulcers. She has a needle sticking out of a vein in her arm, shooting up heroin.

She slumps over, passed out, her greasy hair clumping to her cheek. The used needle hits the floor and rolls a few inches closer to me. I notice it hasn't been completely used up. A bit of the girl's blood remains on the point of the needle, shouting a warning that I don't heed.

I stick the needle in my arm, tip my head back and sigh. I can feel my eyes roll back in my head. I'm on the verge of blacking out, of feeling nothing, when Milton's face dances across my eyelids.

"Milton," I whisper.

I slowly slump against the passed out girl. My brain screamimg at me. Screaming at me to remember something. Something profoundly important.

But the heroin and everything else I've done today, yesterday, just now? It's making me fly, making me invincible.

I don't even know what day it is. Wait, who am I? Chase, right, yeah Chase.

And who's Milton? My eyes close of their own accord. I'm weightless, I'm free.