-Penny: Chapter Thirty-Seven-

Gabe's readying for his lunch date with Audrey. The shower turns off and steam wafts from the bathroom into our bedroom. I can smell his soap, kind of woodsy, hear him scrub his skin dry.

I’m so happy Audrey answered his text. I have high hopes for today’s lunch. I’m hoping they can talk openly, share what’s in their hearts. Get past this hard patch and start fresh.

I’m perfectly alright with staying behind, Gabe thought it might have hurt my feelings, but it didn’t at all. I know change is difficult, harder still if a step-parent gets involved.

Gabe walks out of the bathroom with his hair combed, his face clean shaven. He looks so handsome, the gray in his hair has crept up from his temples to pepper his whole head, making him look so distinguished.

He dresses in khaki shorts and t-shirt. Casual, relaxing, nothing too formal would be appropriate for this visit. I can tell he’s a bit nervous for today, he keeps walking from the dresser to the closet, staring at nothing.

I walk over from making the bed, put my arms around his waist, nuzzle my nose into his chest. His arms pull me close; his fingers sift through my hair. I stand on tip toe and kiss his chin, his lips.

“It’s going to be ok, Gabe. I know it.”

He kisses my hair, “I’m pretty nervous, which is crazy, she’s my daughter. I just miss her, I want to be able to call and text her, have a normal father-daughter relationship.”

I nod in understanding, “And you will, it’s going to take time to heal, but today, it's the start you both need.”

Gabe kisses me softly goodbye and heads for the car. My preteens are still fast asleep on this beautiful Saturday morning.

Time to start breakfast and lure them down with delicious smells.