Audrey: Chapter Thirty-Six-

I’m being lazy, gently swinging in the hammock, breathing in the sunshine and lavender wafting in the air.

Nine days! Only nine days until Benson leaves for Haiti, then Brie and I leave for California 2 days after that.

Brie’s dad bought her an older model Ford explorer. It’s cherry red and has a tow package for hauling the U-Haul trailer down to school with us.

It’ll be filled with our beds, nightstands, a couple of small desks, books and bookshelves, boxes of our clothes, pictures, some funky lamps my mom found for us at a secondhand store.

Mine is a hula girl base topped with a grass skirt lampshade. Brie’s lamp is a lava lamp base with a tie-dye shade, so fun and eclectic. I can’t wait to use it while I have my late-night study sessions. It’ll be like having my mom next to me in all of her awesome, uniqueness.

My phone vibrates in my pocket. I pull it out, see my dad's name on the screen with a text message.

I’ve been ignoring him, not answering his calls or texts. I’m scared for how our conversation will be, but we need so badly to talk it out. To get over this hurdle, these hurt feelings that seem to have their talons deep in my heart. I squeeze my eyes closed and open the text.

-Dad: Hey honey, just wondering if I can take you out this Saturday night?

Ugg, I don’t want Penny to be tagging along, I just wish it could be my dad and me. I decide to try a little honesty.

-Me: Just you?

-Dad: Yeah, just me. I wanted to take you out to dinner, pick up a few things you might need for your dorm?

Ok, honesty may work. I try a little more

-Me: I’m scared, dad. I’m not sure what to talk with you about, I have so much anger inside of me. So much hate.

I hesitate before hitting SEND. Is my dad going to be upset with what I say? Will it offend him? Hurt him? I’ll never know if I don’t send it. I hit send, then wait a bit nervously. My palms are a bit sweaty when my phone vibrates again. 

-Dad: I know sweetie, I want to make things right with you. I would make things right with Chase if I could. Will you meet me?

His text brings tears to my eyes. I want things to be right with us so much, I need to forgive him so I can move on, so we can have a relationship again.

When I’m thinking these things a warm, tingly feeling starts in my toes and makes its way to my heart.

I look up into the blue, cloudless sky, “Yup, I knew you were there,” I whisper to the heavens. 

-Me: Yes, let's get together for lunch, so we have more time. 

-Dad: Perfect. I’ll pick up lunch. Love you.

-Me: See you Saturday.

I can’t say “I love you” back to him quite yet, him leaving us still hurts. I have hope, though, for the first time in a long time, that things will work out, heal between us.

I’m nervous but excited about the prospect of renewing my relationship with my dad. I want to talk to Benson, get some advice. 

I look over at his house, see that his car is gone. I send him a quick text to see if we can meet up later today. My phone vibrates right away.

-Benson: Hey, I’m over at Milton’s picking up the boxes in his apartment we sorted through. I thought I’d haul them to the thrift store, get some things cleaned up before we all leave.

The mention of his leaving puts a little damper on my mood, but I tell him to stay put, I’ll meet him at Milton’s in a few minutes.