-Brie: Chapter Thirty-Five-

Audrey and I are up in my room, my clothes and shoes are everywhere. It looks like a department store exploded. But, nope, that’s just my closet.

We’re laughing and talking about all these new adventures ahead of us. We have exactly 2 weeks left of summer, then we’re off to California and college.

Eek, I cannot believe it. This has been such a dream of mine, to get out on my own, dive right into the fashion industry, create my own line, make my mark.

The biggest suitcase I have is sitting open on my bed, t-shirts are folded perfectly in one corner, while jeans are taking up another. Audrey is telling me all about restaurants and eclectic hangouts in California she looked up, places we need to check out when we get there.

“We definitely need to go to this little cafe called “Pie a la mode, the reviews for the pies are all amazing, especially the lemon meringue. Benson is going to love…….”

I look up when she abruptly stops talking. I pull her in for a hug. “I know you’ll miss Benson something fierce.” I pat her chest, over her heart, “But in here, I know this is exactly what you need, what we both need. These college years are going to make us learn and grow to our full potential.”

Audrey and I plop down on the floor, seeing as the suitcase takes up most of the bed.

Audrey says, “I know this is what I need, truly, but I’ve come to count on Benson so much, too much maybe. I know I’m going to love being elbow deep in paint, learning so much more about art and writing, starting my own life."

She shrugs, "But in the same breath, I feel like I’m leaving so many things undone. My relationship with my dad, Chase, and I still worry about my mom.” She sighs, scrubs a hand through her hair.

Audrey talked with me about what her mom told her about her childhood. All the struggles she is dealing with now. I was totally blown away when she told me. My gosh, you really never know what people are going through.

I scrub my fingers through my chin-length hair, pushing back wayward strands into a ponytail.

“I know, I’m actually really nervous to leave home, too. I mean, what if I go back to my old habits. I’m going to be stressed, what if my eating disorder rears its ugly head again?”

I look at Audrey and we both start dying laughing. When I catch my breath I say, “Look at us, on our way to making our dreams come true and all we can do is be negative Nancy’s. We have each other's backs, Audrey. Always. I’ll even wear Benson’s cologne if that’ll help.”

Audrey doubles over with laughter, while I grin like a loon. “Seriously, let me know. I mean, I can even cut my hair like his.”

“Stop, my stomach. I’m gonna throw up.” Audrey catches her breath and says, “I’m happy we're going be so close to each other.”

I grab her hand, give it a squeeze. “Same!"

We finish packing up some boxes, a couple of suitcases, then head down to the kitchen for some sustenance.

My mom made up a pot of apricot-peach gazpacho. Cold soup, perfect for a hot summer day.

We fill our bowls up, grab some pink lemonade and head out to the porch.

Audrey moans after her first bite, “Brie, your mom’s summer soup is to die for. Do you think she can next-day this stuff to us when we’re at school?”

I laugh, “Let’s be honest, if my mom sent her soups and chocolates and your mom sent her raspberry rolls and cookies, we would be set.”

The summer breeze blows softly over our faces; the sun heating our skin; life is so good. “Hey, do you wanna sleep over tonight?”

Audrey leans towards me, “Umm, can you say Doris Day marathon? Let’s make some caramel corn and see if your mom has any truffles to go with it.”

We jump up, calling for my mom.

Doris Day is singing “Please don’t eat the daisies” to us as the credits roll. I look over at Audrey sleeping soundly, the light from the T.V. dancing across her face.

The caramel corn and truffle remains are sparse, we gorged ourselves on those delicious treats.

My tummy gives a little twinge, like it needs to get rid of all I ate tonight. I take a deep breath, in, out, in, out. Mind over matter.

I grab the T.V. remote, power everything down, lean over the side table and switch the lamp off.

We decided to hunker down in the family room where the flat screen and big sectional are at. My mom brought down all of our big fluffy blankets and pillows, the couch reassembling a cloud. And feels like one too.

Audrey's softly breathing on one end of the couch and I burrow in on the other end, pulling the blankets up to my chin. The air conditioning's a little chilly down in the basement. 

I start thinking about college life and fashion and all the beautiful fabric I hopefully will get to work with, when my phone pings, signaling a text.

-Brody: How’s Doris Day? 

I grin, Brody cracks me up. 

-Me: Doris Day was a hoot, as per usual

-Brody: I cannot believe you’re still awake young lady, it’s after midnight!

-Me: Ha Ha, I could say the same thing to you! How was your night, did you get some Doris Day in too?

-Brody: Oh, you know I did. It was alright, I guess. Can I be honest?

-Me: Always, what’s wrong?

-Brody: I miss Chase.

My fingers are still for a minute, I can feel Brody’s pain. I missed Audrey something fierce when we weren’t talking.

-Me: I know you do, my heart aches for you and for Chase, wherever he is. I just hope he’s ok.

-Brody: He sure as hell better be. I’m just having a pity party over here; I’m just thinking about everyone leaving and me doing senior year alone. I know, Boohoo……

-Me: Not Boohoo, Brody. It’s so hard to even leave, I’m sure it’s even harder to have to stay, especially without your best friend. 

I see the three dots blinking, indicating typing, then the dots go away, then blink again.

What’s Brody trying to say, I wonder. A minute passes, then two. Finally, my phone pings.

-Brody: I’m glad I have you, ya know as a friend. You and Audrey, I’m gonna miss you both, a lot.

-Me: Aww, Brod, we’re gonna miss you too. It’s been the best summer.
-Brody: Agreed, sleep tight.

-Me: ‘night.

My belly gives a little twinge again, not about food this time, but about Brody. He’s always meant a lot to me, but lately we’ve grown pretty close. I’m going to miss all of this, miss home, miss him.

I wasn’t kidding when I told Brody it would be hard to leave; it really will be.