4

Even though I hadn't fully accepted his proposition, Felix was had spent the last couple of minutes discussing how and when the livestream would take place.

"You're here only for a few days, of course I'm already thinking about it." he grunted as we both watched Marzia play with Edgar a few feet from us.

Softly smiling, I stroked Maya's ear, who calmly enjoyed the beach stroll from the comfort of my arms.

Brighton's beaches was quite different from the ones in Oceanside. Back home, the sand was brighter and the ocean more blue. The overall feeling was different, in all truthfulness. It could be a sunny day in Brighton and it still didn't feel as sunny. I didn't mind it, though.

I observed the tenderness which Felix observed my cousin. No one could deny that love existed while looking at them.

" God... How long have you been together?" I trailed off " Almost 10 years "

"About that." he took a quick glance at me and Maya, before turning his attention do Marzia who was waving at us.

"I remember that. I was 12." I mumbled while waving back. "My mother was shocked to find that Marzia had a Swedish boyfriend. They all thought you were some creepy old dude."

"Really? Her parents were so nice when I visited for the first time." the blonde raised an eyebrow.

"Not her parents." I clarified " Mine."

"Oh ... " he simply replied, before letting out an awkward laugh "I've only met your parents at our wedding actually, so they finally saw I wasn't a creepy 40 year old. After 9 years..."

"No.. Just a creepy 30 year old." I smirked.

Maya shifted on my arms, motioning for me that she was done being carried . The pug strolled as fast as she could to join her brother and Marzia.

We walked in silence after that. The once soft breeze from the ocean seemed to intensify, so I crossed my arms around my body as if to protect myself from the cold.

"How have you been?" Felix spoke after a few minutes, a trace of concern in his voice.

"Fine." I shrugged him off, ignoring the sinking sensation in my stomach. "Why?"

"Marzia's concerned." the blonde stated "I am too."

"I know." I nodded with a sigh.

I knew this conversation would come up at some point, I just wasn't ready for it.

"You have to open up. You know we saw the news." Felix's efforts to maintain a tough posture were noticeable " If not with her, with me then." he motioned to his wife.

"Sure." I took a quick glance at him brushing a strand of hair in front of my face.

His blue eyes had splatters of grey and concern, his mouth was in a tense line and his eyebrows formed a light wrinkle between them. It was unbearable to be looked at like that, so I looked to the ocean, wishing it would carry me away in its forgetfulness.

I could fell that Felix was observing me expectantly. I wanted to reach out to them about what I was going through, but I didn't want to be a burden, especially to Marzia.

"You are avoiding her." Felix pointed, filling in my silence. I sighed, tightening the grip around my small torso. "We care about you Mia. You're family. Whatever it is, we'll help."

"I know. I care about you guys." My voice was getting weaker and anxious.

"It's concerning, specially for Marzia, having to find out from news outlets that you're not doing so great overseas." he blurted out, his voice revealing some unintentional frustration, probably due to my short replies.

I stopped on my tracks, causing Felix to mimic me. Although there was truthfulness in his words, I felt tension on my chest.

Living alone in America, with nothing more than work acquaintances, party friends and a whole sea of people that only look at you just as an opportunity, could lead to dangerous situations. However her mistakes were her to learn and from her to grow.

Besides, the news never get the full story. They only choose to portray the outcome and how bad it transpires.

"The news outlets don't know shit." I retorted, my Italian accent being more clear between my gritted teeth.

"Mia I'm just-"

"I know." I cut in aggressively "I had a fucking bad break up with some guy during a party. I got fucked up. It got fucked up. That's what happened. That's what you need to know. I'm fine now."

Felix's lips parted, but words didn't come out. My jaw was clenched as I observed him.

"That's what happened." I huffed, digging my nails on my forearm in an attempt not to tremble. "The news just chose a story where a young famous get fucked up at parties and is a bad influence. "

Felix didn't answer me. Instead he carefully moved closer to me, his arms embracing my frail figure. I hadn't realize Marzia had walked back to us until her arms joined the embrace.

Only then, I felt my tensed up muscles relax, feeling blessed for the support I had from these two.

I can't remember how many times de word "I'm sorry" come out as a whisper.

A.N.: Slowly building my sweety as a character! Hope you enjoy!