21

Corpse was reclining back on his car sit, one hand on the steering wheel and one relaxed hand on the gear stick.

The late afternoon sun highlighted his dark hair with lighter shades of brown. He had rolled up his sleeves, exposing his tensed muscles while driving.

The radio played some generic tunes, which filled the two hour drive.

Had we neared LA, anxious thoughts raced my mind, causing my knee to jolt up and down.

Corpse's firm hand found my moving knee, weighing it down in a calming manner.

"I have a mask. I can go get your stuff if you don't feel like it." Corpse suggested.

I unconsciously placed my hand on top of his, squeezing it back softly.

"That's very sweet of you." I nodded "But you've already done so much for me. I couldn't ever ask that of you. I'm okay, I'll go."

Although he didn't say anything, I could tell the idea of actually having to go up to Sophia's apartment himself, even if I hadn't told her about who Corpse Husband was or even that we were speaking, was causing him a great deal of nerves. So hearing me reject his offer, caused him to sigh one relief.

"I just want you to feel safe." I finally explained, glancing back at him.

"I do." I reassured him while my thumb drew small circles on top of his hand.

I guided Corpse through LA's streets to Sophia's place, I tried to prepare myself for how she'd react to my newly bruised cheek and the questions she'd ask. I'd have to be honest with her and bare with the frustration and anger I'd directed towards her.

She wasn't at fault for the events in question and I'd already decided to forgive her. However, there was a feeling of resentment stronger than any rational thoughts.

I unintentionally held in my breath once Corpse parked right next to my white car.

"Mia?" he asked, having taken notice of my nervousness.

"I'm okay.... It's okay." I turned to face him and simply shrugged "It's just Sophia."

I anxiously leaned over and hugged him, leaving no space for him to offer himself again to go up to her apartment, and he welcomed me on his arms.

"Thank you." I mumbled against his shoulder " Really."

"Do you want me to wait for you?" he asked and I shook my head in response.

"No. Go home... I've already taken too much of your time." I pointed " Listen, I wanna pay for your gas."

"Well, that's not going to happen." I chuckled and parted the hug to stared at me. " Have I told you how good you look wearing my clothes and those heels?"

I blushed at his comment, but couldn't contain an embarrassed laugh. I had thought how ridiculous my heels looked while wearing a baggy hoodie and sweat pants that were clearly too big for me. But it was either the heels or going barefoot.

"Call me when you get home, princess. " he asked.

I just nodded at his request before grabbing my bag and stepping out of his car. My stomach felt so small and twisted I thought I'd be sick.

I waited for Sophia to pick up her phone, and waved Corpse goodbye when she answered telling be she'd open the door.

Sophia's eyes were red and swollen from crying and words weren't enough to describe the shock on her face when she scanned my purplish swollen bruise. The almost untouched cigarette between her fingers fell to the ground.

With no words being said, she pulled me inside and embraced me with a gasp. I didn't push her away, but I didn't get my warms to move either.

"Mia..." she whispered.

"I'm okay." I sighed.

"How is that okay, Mia." her greenish eyes studied my face frantically, once again.

"Just leave it." I shook my head before storming inside her permanently messy apartment.

"What?" she was perplexed as she strut behind me " Mia, was it Jack? What di that motherfucker do to you?"

I went to her room grabbing my sleeping over bag.

"What did you give me yesterday?" I asked, ignoring her questions.

"I don't know." the girl shrugged.

"You don't know?" I raised my eyebrow in disbelief.

"The guy said it was a new thing." her voice was almost gone "It was supposed to be fun."

"Sophia I ran off the club alone into the streets and couldn't even think to call a fucking uber. I just curled up in the middle of the street." I blurted out angrily "If I didn't mistakenly sent the messages to Co-... to my friend... I don't know what else would have happened. Because you weren't picking up either. Was it any way fun for you?"

My fist was clenched around my bad. Sophia froze as she heard me.

"I'm leaving." I turned to leave, ignoring the brunette calling for me.

Rushing out of her apartment, I felt guilty for leaving Sophia staring at my back, however my blood boiled at the thought of having a coherent and just discussion with her about our issues. I would forgive her, but not today.

"We'll talk tomorrow." I stated, hesitating at the door for a few moments before exiting her apartment.

I didn't look back, getting inside my car and leaving LA and Sophia behind.

That night Corpse didn't hide his face cam. For some reason I was expecting him to, almost as if meeting him wasn't real.

"How's your cheek? Is that some kind of cream?" He asked while his attention drifted between a video he was editing and our video call.

He was sitting at a desk, his face lightly lit from the computer lights, and one eye covered with a black patch, while he clicked around in his mouse.

" Yeah, I swung by the pharmacy." I shrugged " Its supposed to accelerate the healing process."

It was still early night, my clock indicating that it barely was 10pm. My body felt drained, so I had crawled inside my bed.

Refusing to let go of the last piece of comfort I had, I was still wearing Corpse's borrowed clothes.

"Is your eye okay?" I asked, curious about the patch, distracting our conversation from my face.

" Yeah, the screen lights just hurts my eye, for some reason." He shrugged, showing me a grimace. " Something to do with my chronic illness, probably."

"That sucks, I'm sorry to heart that." I furrowed my eyebrows slightly " At least you get to be a cool pirate."

He made an Arrrr sound. Somehow, the ridiculous situation awakened a slight hysteria, causing me to blurt out a laugh.

"Wait wait wait- Mia." Corpse was trying and failing to contain his laughter "This was terrible. Please forget this."

My lungs ached for hair from the uncontrollable laughter and my eyes welled up with tears.

"Mia, please." He begged, laughing breathlessly along with me. "Oh no... I think you're broken."

Eventually, our unfundamented laughter died down into a comfortable silence, leaving us with aching faces and stomachs.

After chatting a couple of more minutes, my eyes started to feel heavy.

None of us suggested to end the video call, and knowing Corpse was there while I fell asleep to the sound of his mouse clicking appeased me, allowing me to drift into a dreamless sleep.

AN: Hello there 👋
Did you guys think Mia was too hard on Sophia? I kinda felt bad.
Also work and practice is killing me, so idk if tomorrow I'll be able to update!! I'll try though 😘 also Saturdays I usually post 2 chapters in a row 😉
Thank you for all the votes, reads and messages, they mean a lot!