20

After letting Corpse take care of me, mostly by almost force feeding me and go through my thoughts and feelings with him, I was slowly starting to feel more like myself. My scattered mind had become less foggy and more capable of going into a daydream state.

He had suggested we'd hang out on the couch and played some video games. But since my attention spawn was similar to one of a gold fish, he played and I watched. I found myself snuggled next to him, my head resting on his shoulder.

In spite of talking to Corpse on the phone on a daily basis, for a couple of weeks now, I'd never imagined we would be this comfortable around each other's physical presence.

He had talked about his anxieties around new people and I talked about how uncomfortable physical interactions become with strangers. But we weren't strangers. Even if his facial features were new to me, his soul and his voice weren't.

After a couple of minutes of watching him play, laughing casually and commenting along with Corpse, I had gathered the courage to pick my phone up and read through my notifications.

The thought of a possible scandal from last nights events crossed my mind, returning my heart to its anxious rhythm from earlier. I hadn't fully ponder it, and the idea of a second internet drama terrified me for not only my job, but for Marzia, to whom I had made the silent promise to be more careful with myself. I had fallen disastrously flat on that promise.

I felt that Corpse's attention redirected itself from his game, to my every movement, sigh or any slight facial expression as I schemed through social media. He must have sense that my posture becoming more tense.

"It didn't get out." I whispered in disbelief.

For the first time, my lips curled into an half smile, my right cheek aching tenderly at the movement.

I still had to explain to my agency the black eye and the marks on my arm. However that seemed to be the minor problem. The inhumane fact that all they would care was if my fave was decent enough to cover with makeup, was appeasing enough.

Looking up at Corpse, he grinned back at me, and I noticed then how it was the first time I was seeing him truly smile. I felt myself blush, so I quickly looked down onto my phone, in an attempt to hide my flustered cheeks.

"I'm calling Soph." I informed, giving his bony knee a small squeeze before getting to my feet.

I wondered into the small apartment kitchen and looked through the window at the sunny San Diego city.

"Mia?" A concerned Sophia picked up her phone " Are you okay baby? What happened?"

Sophia's voice had a raspy sickly tone to it, which indicated me the many cigarettes she had gone through the night before.

"Hi. I am. I'll tell you later. It was Jack... I don't really wanna think about it." I answered quietly "I'm going to be honest with you. Whatever you gave me yesterday, it fucked me up. It fucked with my anxiety and I couldn't even think straight after.... well.... I'm mad you left me alone..."

" Mia I didn't think that-" she tried to to justify herself but I cut her off.

"But I love you. And I need you in my life." I stated "And I forgive you. Just don't fucking do it again and let me be pissed off for a while."

I cleaned an unintentional single tear that rolled down my cheek and forcefully swallowed the knot on my throat. I was unsure about the future, however I refused to cry again for today.

"Mia... I'm sorry." Sophia was lost for words from her side of the call. After a few moments of silence " Who are you with? He answered my call earlier."

"A friend." I simply stated.

Is he a friend? I thought, It felt wrong calling him a friend. It was misrepresentative for how much this man meant to me, but I couldn't define it.

"He's a good friend." The girl pointed remorsefully "Thank him for me."

" I will." I nodded, even though Sophia wouldn't see it.

"I'll be home waiting for you, you still have your car here..." she paused, I could tell Sophia was crying. "I'll be better, Mia."

"I'll call when I get there." I stated with a sigh and hung up the phone.

Walking back to the living room, I observed the curly haired man sitting on the couch. From the messy brown curls, his chocolate eyes darkened with the smudged eyeliner he hadn't fully removed, to the half smirk he showed me as he got up from the couch, I didn't want to leave.

"Corpse. " I started and he hummed, waiting for me to continue, fixing a loose strand of my hair " I can't thank you enough. But I have to go back to LA. I have everything over at Sophia's."

"Have I told you your accent is really cute?" I blinked at him as an uncontrollable smile crept up on my lips and a soft giggle escaped from me " And that smile, damn."

I was lost for words, staring at him, and thinking of how naturally he could make me flustered.

"I..." I trailed off scanning his eyes, forcing myself to stay coherent and demanding my beating heart to slow down " Can you tell me which train or bus to take ?"

"Hmm no." He almost purred.

"No?" I raised an eyebrow as I self consciously thought of my rosed complexion.

"No." He repeated with a nod, his smirk getting bigger. His hand moved to the nape of my neck pulling me in, his warm lips placing a kiss on my forehead. " I'm driving you. "

My pounding heart was beating above any self control I previously had on it and my forehead was tingling where his lips had touched my skin.

I was unsure if it was a means of persuasion, since my inability to react kept me from refusing it, so I just complied.

AN: Omg guys , thanks for all the support and kind words !! It means so much, specially since I'm a non native English speaker/ writer!
Next chapter up tomorrow 😉