34 - Last Scan - Brollins

Becky
I waddled into the doctors office, my back aching and my bump hanging out of my extremely stretched maternity jeans. I'm 36 weeks pregnant and now I'm ready to get these twins out of me, I've got four weeks to go but I doubt my back will hold out that long. "You alright?" I groaned as I sat down on the chair, rubbing my stomach as I felt a flutter of painful kicks right into my kidney. "Yeah, but these two are having a wrestling match in there." I laughed and Seth placed his hand onto my stomach, leaning forward to talk to them. "Hey calm it down in there you two, you've only got 4 more weeks until you can meet us both. Just give your mother a break, Okay..." The painful jabs almost instantly stopped and I smiled up at Seth, leaning forward slightly to place a gentle kiss on his lips.

"Rebecca Lopez?" I pulled back and I saw my midwife standing in the doorway, bright smile on her face. Seth jumped out of his seat and he helped me out of mine, before I hobbled over to the room, my feet and back killing me with every step. "How are you doing today?" My midwife asked softly and I took a deep breath. "I haven't been sleeping, I've barely been eating, everything is hurting and these two won't stop kicking." With both Seth's and my midwifes help I managed to get up onto the table, sighing with relief as I pulled the zip down on my jeans to reveal my whale like bump, but hissing at the tight feeling I got so I sat forward wrapping my hands around the bump. "Becky?" Seth sounded concerned but I just shook him off. "It's just Braxton hicks, don't worry." I leant back and my midwife smiled at me as she grabbed the gel, applying it to my bump. "What your experiencing both with your symptoms and the braxton hicks is very normal, especially during twin pregnancies as you are carrying the weight of two babies. It's actually quite reassuring to us as it's a clear indication that babies are doing okay." She smiled at me as she grabbed the wand off the machine and brought it to my stomach.

"Right there's baby A, everything is looking very healthy with this one. Now I'm just going to look for baby B." She moved the wand around some more before stopping and moving the screen away from us. "What's the matter?" Seth asked and I instinctively grabbed his hand. "I just need to double check something, try not to worry." She moved the wand about some more before freezing and placing the wand back on the ultrasound machine. "Becky I need you to take a deep breath for me, this may come as a shock okay?" I took a deep breath and my grip on Seth's hand got tighter. "Baby B is in position for birth, so just as a precaution I'm going to do a sweep just to make sure these braxton hicks aren't contractions." My eyes grew wide as I looked over at Seth, desperately trying not to panic. My midwife made her way down to the bottom of the bed and she pulled my jeans off, stopping immediately and I panicked. "Stay here, everything is going to be fine. I'll be right back." She hurriedly got out of the room and I turned to Seth, tears beginning to blur my vision and my mind got blind sighted with apologies. "I'm sorry, I've done something wrong haven't I?" Seth shook his head, leaning forward slightly to place his free hand on the bump. "No you've done everything perfectly, whatever is going on it isn't your fault! Just take a deep breath and I'm sure everything is going to be alright." My midwife walked into the room, followed by several paramedics. "Becky you're bleeding, okay? We need to get you to hospital as safely and as quickly as possible, that's why the paramedics are here. I'm going to stay with you the whole time and Seth can stay too." My heart started to race as Seth helped me off the bed, I could see the fear on his face too. Seth lifted me into his arms and held me tightly, whispering into my ear that everything was going to be okay.

As we walked out into the waiting room all the pregnant women glanced up at us with horror in their eyes and I panicked, fuck, fuck, fuck I know I said I wanted them to be born but not today. Seth placed me down in the back of the ambulance not letting go of my hand for a second as my midwife began to explain. "Most women in your situation have a c-section, now you don't have to but I believe it's safest all things considered." I nodded frantically, I'm going to do whatever I can to keep my babies safe. "Please, please I need my babies to be okay..." She leant forward grabbing my free hand. "If you have any family or friends you want to call I advise you do this now because once we get to the hospital we'll be prepping you for theatre." She released my hand and Seth shakily handed me my phone, I instantly dialled my mothers number, desperate to hear her calm and soothing voice. "Honey is everything alright?" I breathed out on the line. "No...I'm having the babies today. We went to the appointment and I got pain and then I started bleeding, mum I'm so scared." I sobbed down the line and I heard her gasp. "Sweetheart remember what I used to say to you when you were younger, the more you panic the worse it'll be. Your midwives and the doctors know what they're doing and they are going to do everything in their power to ensure all three of you come out of this fighting fit. I'll go to your house and I'll pick up your hospital bags before I make my way there myself, everything is going to be alright, you're in the best of care." I sniffed, rubbing my face as tears ran down it. "Okay...okay, but please mum hurry here because I'm scared..."