Chapter 15

Plans changed that morning when Karl requested a different meeting spot for whatever reason. Thankfully Techno complied and when he dropped me off he seemed more than happy about the departure.

We reached the abandoned cottage and it took a few deep breaths before I knocked on the door. However when a man with shaggy brown hair that almost covered his eyes opened it, my nerves calmed.

Something about him made me less nervous, his presence felt warm.

"Come inside (Y/n)," Karl welcomed me in, "I am Karl."

I looked around the place and it was trashed. Things smashed and glass spread on the ground. I took my attention off the mess to look back at Karl. "Did I know you before?"

He shook his head no. "No but you were close with my best friend. Who is dying to see you again by the way."

I took another look around the place.

"Do you live here?" I hesitantly asked, attempting not to be rude if this was his home.

Karl also took a look around. "No, it actually was yours. I don't exactly know what happened after you left."

I didn't know either and I don't know if I wanted to.

"So how exactly are you going to help me get my memories back?" I asked, getting back to the main topic.

"I time travel!" Karl said with enthusiasm.

I gawked at the boy in front of me. His appearance gave him a look of innocence and it made me wonder what he has seen with those grey eyes. Things people wish they could see.

"How does it work?" I questioned.

He sat me down and explained the basic rules and procedure of it. Karl tried to sugar coat a lot of it, especially the part where he confided that the method he was using was very different than normal.

He told me he hasn't had much experience bringing people with him and complications could arise. Karl then explained what would happen if things went according to plan.

According to him I should awake as a mere kid and live my life as I did once before. It is supposedly structured where I will merely be spectating my own life in fast motion.

Before starting he asked me, "Are you sure you want to do this?"

It wasn't the complications that have made me cautious, it was the part where I would have to relive my worst pain.

They can not break you. Dream's words rang in my head over and over again. I wouldn't succumb to the fear so out of pure spite I nodded my head.

* * *

The feeling was weird at first but I became used to it. I had no control over my body, only my eyes that didn't blink enough. The worst part was I couldn't control my mouth.

I didn't totally agree with what I said to the people I encountered.

Once I got past that, I took more attention to what I was seeing. Flashes of L'Manburg and the cottage before it was destroyed filled my head.

For a second I let myself fall in love with it. My house, the flowers, the peace and especially my cat. I took appreciation in the small things that I don't think I did when I had them. I knew this was when my life was so simplistic it was boring.

Then I saw it all change. Better or worse, nothing was the same.

The second I signed the contract binding me to Dream, the things in my life disappeared. Losing Tommy was the first real pain. I had to watch my eyes fill with pools of tears as I cried for losing him.

Even with no control of my body, I could feel things. I felt the rush of adrenaline when Dream was near me, I felt myself fall in love with him.

Through the peaks of love and my lowest in a deep valley, I experienced it all. I remembered it all.

By far the most heart wrenching was watching Dream not know it was his last day with me when it was. The false promises of our future were said because he believed they would one day happen.

I tried to move my mouth to warn him, to beg him to stay with me but no words came out. So I was forced to watch as I died once again.

Maybe this was the book's way of a joke. That I didn't get the right to live when I couldn't remember how I died.

I expected to wake up in my cottage when the darkness spread but I didn't. Instead I was greeted with a voice.

It ringed through my head. "Welcome back (Y/n).

I couldn't move as the voice circled around my head, not knowing for sure where it was coming from.

"I have missed your company," It spoke once again. Whatever this thing was it wasn't the slightest bit human.

"Where am I?" I asked not realizing that the words actually flowed out of my mouth, that I once again had control of it.

The voice spoke again, sending tingles in my body. "Where everyone goes when they die."

"Why am I here?" I wasn't dead, just trapped in the head of someone that was.

"Everyone is given a choice." The voice continued, "You get to make one once again. Will it be the same answer?"

If I didn't have the knowledge I had now, I would've chosen the same all over again. I would have never been the person I was if I was just a ghost of who I used to be.

"Now people like to cheat death. Techno shouldn't have used the revival book on someone who chose not to come back."

Right as I was about to say that I wanted to live now, that I wanted to get out of wherever I was and get to Dream, he interrupted.

"Before you answer so quickly you must know. There are other memories that you are still missing," the voice traveled from one side of the room to another. "You spent a great deal of time here and it wasn't pleasant."

My choices: either remain without my memory or have it but relive my 'unpleasant' memory.

It could be a trick to scare me off, this thing didn't seem like the honest type.

"I can still hear the echo of your screams in this terrible place. Bouncing off the wall like it never left, like you never left." It continues whether I want it to or not.

"I can endure it." I said with power. They can not break you.

The voice came so close to my ear as if he could read my thoughts, it whispered, "You couldn't last time. Last time you broke."