Chapter 21

I could feel the shift in me. 

I felt the warmth leave my soul and the darkness take my heart. My mind was intruded with devilish thoughts. Whatever was left of me, disappeared.

I soon was in the spruce forest and my eyes began to fog up. The last thing I remember is seeing Dream's face, out of the prison.

He was free.

Dream's POV

I could hear a ringing voice in my head, 'Let the games begin'  it hissed.

I regained my balance and looked to my right to see (Y/n) and that is when I knew. She was gone.

She leaned against a tree. "I'll give you a head start."

Even her voice sounded different.

Then she counted, "One."

I didn't take any time and ran as fast as I could to who knows where. I didn't know how high she was counting to but I didn't waste time on thinking about it.

"Two," her voice boomed through the forest, reaching my ears.

Maybe I could go in a lake, I mean she can't swim.

It wasn't until I reached a tree, I decided to stop. I was far enough where I couldn't hear the countdown anymore.

I settled for this spot and hoped she would walk right past it. I grabbed the nearest branch and used it to lift me up higher. Then I stood on top of it and proceeded to grab the other one to pull myself all the way up.

Once I reached a good height, I stopped and got comfortable. It was high enough that you can't see me from the ground but not too tall in case I needed to escape.

I waited.

Nothing.

An hour later, nothing.

Second hour and my back became increasingly uncomfortable. Maybe this would be easier than I thought.

However my luck quickly ran short on hour three.

Below me, there she stood. Wickedly beautiful, somehow I think the curse enhanced it.

"I give you a three hour headstart and you settle for a tree," She shook her head, clicking her tongue, "I expected better."

Three hour head start. Did she seriously count that long? How confident did she have to be to waste one-eighth of her time.

"Come get me then," I hollered down to her.

Hopefully I could find a good time to jump while she climbed up. However she didn't move an inch.

"That is no fun, I want to have fun Dream," she pouted.

"I'm afraid we don't have the same version of fun," I tell her.

"How about we play a game?"

"What kind of game?"

She thought about it for a little, I saw her lips curl upwards and I knew she came up with an idea.

"I want you to tell me something that would hurt  (Y/n)'s heart, I want to hear a terribly evil thought that would break her if she were to find out. It will be our little secret."

I knew the real (Y/n) could hear me, I knew she was in there somewhere. I knew if I said my awful truth, she would hear every malicious word. 

"Or what?" I ask her.

"If it satisfies me enough, I will let you get down from the tree and run. If not, I will kill you."

It didn't make sense, wasn't the whole point of her existence to kill me. Why would she waste her time on playing a game?