Chapter 23

Y/N's POV

It was a breath of fresh air being released from that demonic hold inside my head. The bell echoed through the woods as a reminder. A reminder that we won.

We finally won.

As I finally reached full consciousness, I scanned my surroundings.

There was a lake but Dream wasn't anywhere to be seen.

He wouldn't have gone too far away, he had to be around here somewhere. But where would he have gone?

But then it hit me, "Oh god."

I didn't have time to process what I was doing before I was in the water. I didn't care if I couldn't swim or if this would likely get me killed too.

Because I know if I didn't try, that I would wish I was dead.

I did my best to keep above the water but my eyes were peeled to the bottom, until I saw that glimmer of golden hair.

My mouth was already swallowing the lake water as I failed to stay up, but nonetheless I took one last breath before going under.

I didn't care what it took for me to get to his level, I would do it. I would not let our story end like this.

So I kicked and reached my arm until I came in contact with his shoulder. I reached under it and pulled him up.

After a relentless amount of kicking my legs and dragging him, we finally reached the surface. I did my best to drag him to the shore but as we got further out, he got heavier.

After a few more pulls he was out.

He was out of the water, but he-

His face was pale and his lips a dark purple-blue. I had no idea how long he was under for. He laid there limp like he was de-

No. He wasn't because he couldn't be.

I put my hands and pressed on his heart and pushed down trying to get it started again.

"Please don't leave me," I whispered.

I frantically pushed down on his heart again and now went to his mouth to give him any sort of air.

But I looked at his frozen face and I couldn't imagine what it looked like smiling or how he sounded when he laughed. 

I couldn't forget though because only recently did I begin to remember.

"Please," I whined, "I don't want to be alone."

No one will ever love me like he loves me. No one. 

Every time my hands pumped his heart, they got slower.

However a minute passed and nothing happened. I begged for him to wake up.

But he wasn't asleep/

I reached my left hand and threw a rock at the lake, like I could kill it for what it did to him.

"Why?" I yelled, kneeled at Dream's side.

There are things in this world that are unexplainable, like miracles. Except I never got one of those, instead this cruel world would make it possible for both Dream and I, to live without the other. To experience each other die.

Because he is dead.

Dream is dead.

I yelled and screamed until my voice became hoarse, even that didn't stop the pain. Everything in my body ached.

I reached towards Dream's hand and it was cold, no more lingering heat, no more comfort.

"I hate you," I cried out, "I hate you for making me fall in love with you. I hate you for giving up. I hate you for being the only person that has ever believed in me."

I stared at his lips and waited for them to curl upwards and to taunt me with his shameless flirting. I waited for him to roll his eyes and tell me he loved me despite me hating him.

However he didn't move.

"I hate you for leaving me," I breathed out like the realization hit me too.

With those words I meant.

I wanted to scream that he was right all along, that he was so unbelievably selfish. Because how could he stop fighting and leave me to suffer? But even I couldn't convince myself that he was anything but selfless with me.

He died saving me from an eternal suffering of darkness. Dream died a hero.

Not that he was anything else to me.

I am angry and I am broken. Broken in pieces that will never be repaired because there is a hole in my heart that no one could ever fix.

I am beyond empty.

I used my hands to move back his hair and I kissed his forehead.

"In another life," I whispered to him and felt comfort thinking he could hear me, "In another life we would have gotten our happy ending."

This was it. The end of our story. It was clear that every path led to the same destination, and that destination was not together no matter how hard we tried to fight it.

Why? Why is it that everyone gets their happiness but me and him? 

The tears fell down my face and I didn't think they would ever stop.

I didn't realize until now how hard I was holding on to the fact that he would've just opened his eyes and told me he was joking. That I would've slapped him for the mean joke but he would laugh. I wouldn't be able to stop my smile because at the end of the day we would be together.

Now it was just me.

So I cried until I couldn't breathe. Until I didn't even care that I couldn't because what is living without the person that made you want to.

Maybe the world was grieving too as it rained on top of us. But then again, it never truly did us any justice anyways.

I glanced over to the shore and through all the rain, I saw something glimmer.

I used whatever strength I had left in my legs to walk over to it but once I reached it, I wished I never made the trip to it. 

I collapsed to my knees as I reached for the ring clasped on to it. It has always had its way to come back to me, but this time it wasn't Dream who had given it to me. And it never would be.

However I was startled when I heard a voice. A voice that I hated hearing but this time I thanked every star above that I did.

Because there was a chance, a chance that they could save Dream.

In some ways or another, it was a miracle.