Thirty Four

DEMI
(POV)

"You do know my mom's birthday this friday, right?" Luke said on the phone. "Don't tell me you'll bail on me again?"

Crap.

I looked at my watch to confirm what day today. Tuesday, 17th of november 6:23 in the afternoon.

I totally forgot about it. I was preoccupied by the shop, my unfinished painting and my never ending visitors from the city.

The first week after Bright went back to work. His Uncle Kik and his mom surprised me at my house with bunch of shopping bags and groceries made for a i think a few months worth. They even offer to help me take care of Mace for a day. I didn't know what to do.

I was overwhelmed by their kindness i never experience before. i was beyond nervous but in the back of my mind i felt like i won the lottery to be treated nicely by Bright's family. I'm still feel the butterflies about that day.

I message Bright after that day thinking it's his idea but turns out Uncle Kik spill the tea to his mom about visiting me. Bright call me back in panic knowing his mom was there with me. But I'm grateful to know he cares for me, deeply. And Oh! Win's right about the food Bright's mom make. Her food was to die for.

Then days after Charlie went back to get Mace and gave me a box full bribes–i mean goodies. Fresh new paints, brushes and 2 bottles of wine.

A few weeks after, some of his friends and Kai visit too. I never felt lonely during my first few weeks at the countryside. Thanks to Bright.

I scratch my chin embarrassed as i bite my lower lip .

"Why would i forget Auntie Yna 58th Birthday, Phi. You're being silly" as i laugh bogusly.

"I know you Dee. I'm still not happy about the last time" Luke said with a warning

Right. What is that about again?
Seminar? or was it a conference?

"I know. I know." I bite my lower lip guiltily " i'll be there. Don't worry"
I said full of promise.

I heard a chuckled and he said
"I'm counting on you. You know my mom, Dee. She's expecting you there."

"And i shall be."

"You should. Oh! gonna go. My boss's calling me"
He ends the call in a rush.

I sighed loudly at my backyard. I was waiting for my fresh pots from the furnace to be cooked. Tapping my phone repeatedly in my forehead.

Auntie Yna is my grandma's friend and my mentor who i have a huge debt for helping me become who i am today and my freedom.

Luke don't know about this but his mom has these fantasies about him and i. She said i'm perfect to be her daughter-in-law which I always dismiss every time cause i know Luke is like a brother to me. I wondered where did she get that idea from?

I winced, distressed about the upcoming event.

What a scatterbrain. How could i forgot about her birthday!?

Then the devil's intrusion in my mind sudden attack.

You would. if perhaps you stop obsessing over Bright. You couldn't even admit to yourself you're getting attached to him. You IDIOT!

I shake my head and sighed.

I should think about auntie Yna. What should i give her? I only have few days before her birthd–

Then i heard a loud rustle somewhere that made me stop my trace. I put my phone in my back pocket of my denim short and I looked around me and up the man made fence for something.