Chapter 45

Italy 9 p.m.
Y/n POV –

My heart is full and overflowing with love when I look up and see the two most important men in my life in deep conversation with each other. They’re walking 10 feet ahead and I can’t stop staring at them and their body language. My dad, confident as usual and Ethan talking with his hands, more than he normally does. He’s visibly a bit tense ever since my parents are here. Even though I can’t wait for him to relax around my parents, I do think it’s incredibly cute that he clearly wants my dad to like him. I squeeze my mums hand and she turns her head towards me. “Do you think dad likes Ethan?” I ask her as I nod my head towards the two of them in the distance. She smiles and her eyes are sparkling in the evening light.

“I think your dad is over the moon that Ethan is going above and beyond to take care of you, honey. He likes Ethan a lot, I’m sure of it!” She says reassuring as she squeezes my hand and a weight has been lifted from my shoulders. “I want to go back to L.A. with Ethan, mum..” I continue and I know she won’t like that. She was happy when I moved back to London, even though she was completely stunned by my sudden change of heart when it came to living with Mike. “I know, honey..” Mum answers as she smiles at me again. “Home is where the heart is.. and your heart is clearly wherever Ethan is.” She says as we wander through the beautiful Italian streets to our rental car. Ethan hands the car keys over to my dad and grabs my hand when I reach out to open the car door.

“We’re not taking the car..” He breathes inches away from my lips. His voice is low, sexy and I see his heart pounding through his shirt. Dad cleverly interrupts the tension that is lingering between Ethan and me, by saying: “Have fun, honey! And be careful, Ethan! I’m keeping my eye on you!”. Ethan quickly takes a step back and his cheeks fluster. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen a flush on his cheeks and it makes me chuckle. He gently grabs my hand and our fingers intertwine as he leads me to the other side of the road, while I see my parents drive off. “Where are you taking me?” I squeal and I feel giddy. I’m in this beautiful country, with the man of my dreams. My parents are here, my friends are here! Everything is perfect. It feels like one of those summer days I had as a kid.

When you’re on holiday and completely carefree, the warm breeze on your skin feels like a comforting blanket of happiness and the only worry you have is how many popsicles you’re gonna eat while playing in the sea with your friends. “We’re just going to the hotel.” He says shrugging his shoulders. “But I thought you’d like to take the motorbike..” Ethan smiles at me as he points at a matt black bike. My jaw drops and butterflies flutter uncontrollably through my stomach. It has been a long time since I last sat on the back of Ethan’s bike. But I never forgot how it made me feel, during those rough weeks after my breakup with Grayson. Spending time with Ethan on his bike was his way of helping me breathe again. I felt free every time we were flying over the asphalt.

His smile is wide and he cups my cheek gently. “I thought you’d like it.” He breathes against my lips again, now slowly kissing my lips. There is no build up whatsoever. As soon as his lips touch mine we’re both immediately caught up in this level 100 sexual play. With one of his hands still cupping my cheek and his other hand on my back, pulling me close. My hands both on his chest, trying to keep up with the endorphins this make out session is releasing in my body. We both tilt our head and let our tongues meet. I know it’s just a kiss, but with us not being able to have sex, this makes me feel some type of way. I cross one leg in front of the other and rock my hips gently to control the tingling sensation between my legs. I pull away from the kiss and smile against Ethan’s chest as soon as I feel he’s getting hard against my thigh.

“Yeah..” he breathes. “We better go back..” he laughs as he steps back and rearranges his pants. I’m so turned on by this man, all I can do is bite my lip and gently squeeze his chest as I uncross my legs. “We’re in trouble, aren’t we?” He asks me as he sees how turned on I am.

15 minutes later we arrive at the beach bar near our hotel. The smell of a bonfire fills my nose. Ethan parks the bike and I look around, wondering why he is parking here, instead of at the hotel parking lot. He reads the confusion on my face as he turns around and answers my unspoken question. “I thought it would be nice to have a drink together.” He says as he gently rests his hand on my thigh. I smile at him and nod as I’m falling all into his hazel eyes.

I decide to not tell him that I’m exhausted and I take his hand willingly as we walk over to the beach bar. All of a sudden he turns around and stops right in front of me. His hands on my shoulders, now safely keeping me at arms length. “Okay, I lied!” he blurts out and my heart stops. “Oh, no! no! Don’t worry!” Ethan quickly adds as he sees the shock on my face. “I just lied about coming here for drinks.” He says trying to calm me down, but for some reason he seems really nervous. “Oh-.. okay..” I breathe analysing his face. “I have a surprise for you..” Ethan continues as he let’s go of my shoulders and grabs both of my hands. “It’s down at the beach.” He says as his thumbs rub the back of my hands. He is so nervous, what is going on?

“I don’t want to blindfold you, but I need you to close your eyes.” Ethan adds and I nod, letting him know I will close my eyes. “Okay..” he breathes more to himself than to me, as if he’s trying to encourage himself and he gently leads me down to the beach. I feel we’re at the end of the wooden duckboard when my heels sink into the sand. “We’re almost there..” Ethan mumbles with a shaky voice and I hear the sea loudly crashing onto the shore. “Don’t open your eyes yet..” He whispers as he brings my right hand to his heart. It’s pounding rapidly, like it never has before and as soon as I rest my palm on his chest his heartbeat slowly calms down to a steady and strong pulse. “Y/n..” Ethan says. His voice low but really warm and genuine. “What a fucking plot twist you are..” he starts, using my words.

The words that I wrote down in the note I left Ethan, when I moved back to London. It immediately grabs my attention and I slowly open my eyes and look up at his handsome face. All lit up by the warm light of a bonfire. It makes his hazel eyes glow and his gaze effortlessly enters my soul. “We’ve been through so much these past couple of months. We’ve hit rock bottom together and we’ve thrived together. But through all these times we never had to force love. We were drowning in it the moment we met.” Ethan says and his words send shivers down my spine. “I want to grow together, love together, cry together and laugh together.” Ethan adds before he kneels down in front of me. In a reflex I bring my hands to my mouth and I hear people around us gasp.

Their gasps make me look over my shoulder and I see the faces of all the people I love standing around this bonfire. My parents, Grayson, Kian, Shawn and the rest. I turn my head back to Ethan, still covering my dropped jaw with my hands as he holds up a jewellery box with the most stunning ring I have ever seen. “Please be my forever, my happily ever after. Please marry me..” Ethan breathes and my eyes fill with tears. I can’t talk. The lump in my throat makes it even hard to breathe, so I nod! I nod my head yes, as heavily as possible. Ethan gets up and immediately wraps his arms around me, lifting me inches from the ground. “I love you..” he whispers in my ear and his words release all tension and happy tears. “I love you too..” I quietly respond as I bury my head in his warm neck.