Chapter 14

Paris 3 p.m.
Ethan POV -

Just as we're about to check into our hotel in Paris I receive a Twitter notification. "Umm guys, I just-.." I say staring at my phone. I see Grayson look up. "What?" He says, trying to make me spit out the words I'm keeping in. We lock eyes and I can't help but clench my jaw and flare my nostrils. I know it's unfair, but I resent him for being with y/n. For making y/n fall in love with him. I know I was with Emma. I know he couldn't predict me ending up with y/n. But thinking about Grayson kissing her before I did. Having sex with her before I did. Loving her before I loved her. It makes those, once so implausible words 'You're just a rebound.' more and more believable by the minute.

"Nothing.." I say as I open the direct message I received from Shawn Mendes. I turn my back towards Grayson and read the message.

<Ethan, I know you and y/n are going though a rough patch right now. And I know that she is unbelievably stubborn, but please take my word for it when I say she really needs you. She's not thinking straight, because she is scared of Mike. That's why she is trying to keep you away from her. Please dm me back and I will make sure you two will be reunited. Shawn.>

My eyes widen and I reread the message. This is all I've ever wanted. Being reunited with y/n. Caress her cheek, trace my thumb over her bottom lip, smell her scent. Fall all into her, all over again.

"Ethan! What is it?" Grayson yells at me, shoving me from cloud nine. I breathe in deep and slow and try to swallow my frustration towards Gray. It isn't working. "Nothing, Grayson!" I bite back at him. I tab the reply bar under Shawn's message and my keyboard pops up on the screen of my phone. I don't know what I'm doing. All I know is that I'm feeling a rage grow in my body. I'm here to find y/n. I want to find y/n, but I cant stop myself from messaging Shawn the following.

<I'm just a rebound. You should message the other brother.>

I sigh and slide my phone back in my pocket. "Who wants to go and explore Paris?" I ask the others while putting on a fake smile. Everyone shrugs their shoulders and some of them even yawn. "Guys, I cant handle all your enthusiasm!" I yell sarcastically. But really, I need to get out of this hotel for a moment and clear my mind. "We can go explore Paris later." Grayson says as a compromise. "But first let's take a nap and shower." He adds. Does he realize we're not here for him? That we're looking for my girlfriend? Ex girlfriend! That we are looking for the girl I love and want.. need! Why does everything always have to be about him? My relationship with Emma ended up to be about him. My relationship with y/n ended up being all about him. I'm about to snap at Grayson when Ava all of a sudden stands in front of me. She gently taps my chest and rests her hand on it. Even my crush on Ava, years ago, ended up being all about Grayson.

I remember spying on Cam, when I was about 12. She was sitting around the fire pit in our backyard with her friends. Ava was there. I thought she was the prettiest girl in the world. I always wanted to poke my fingers in her dimples, but I never had the courage. She was so confident, always daring her friends to do stupid and crazy stuff. My best friend Nick, who happens to be her brother, told me she suffered from really bad anxiety attacks. Which was so weird to me, seeing how bubbly she was. That specific day the girls were talking about boys. Boys in their class, boys in pop bands, boys on TV, boys they know. I was getting so bored and ready to climb out of the three house where I was hiding to spy on them, when Ava said those crushing words: "I would kiss Grayson." My heart stopped for a second and that was the first time I was jealous of my twin. Why him? Why always him?

Ava taps my chest again and I snap out of my flashback. "I'll go with you.." she says. "I've never seen the Eiffel Tower." She continues. "Great.." I breathe, visibly surprised by Ava's offer. "We wanna see the Eiffel Tower as well!" Grayson instantly says and I shift my gaze from Ava to Grayson. "You can go explore Paris later!" I say repeating his own words. "First go take a nap and shower." I add sarcastically. I look up at his face and I see his cheeks turn red. I can't tell if I'm pissing him off or if I'm embarrassing him.. and I quiet frankly don't care. "Call me when you're ready." I hear Ava say to Grayson. He looks at her face and nods in silence before he locks eyes with me again. And then I see it.. I see it in his eyes!! I look over at the others, but no one seems to notice what is so obvious to me.