Chapter 10

London 11 p.m.
Ethan POV -

I've probably been asleep for 90% of the flight. I feel good, well rested and confident that we will find y/n. We know where she works and have got her parents address. Even though we came prepared, nerves are taking over my body. I've been sweating profusely ever since we landed and I can't get my breathing under control. "Dude! Stop panting!" Grayson says when we're in the taxi cab on our way to the hotel. I'm tracing every inch of the note y/n left me. The paper is ripped and has stains of coffee on it by now. But holding it and reading it is the only thing that keeps me sane.

We're in London. We're so close to her. I'm looking at the few people that are roaming the street at this time at night. Y/n could be here. She could be just around the corner and I imagine bumping into her. Holding her, smelling her, kissing her. All of a sudden I feel a hand on my hand and I look down at Ava's perfectly manicured nails. "You're ripping the paper." She whispers, smiling at me and she lets go of my hand. Instead of one very worn and disgusting piece of paper, I'm now holding two halves. "Shit.." I breathe, annoyed with myself. I fold the pieces that are left and slide them back in the pocket of my pants when we pull up to the hotel. "Okay!" I just got y/n's parents phone number!" David says as he gets out of the cab behind us. He hands over his phone and in an email from Seatgeek I find a number with a London area code. I tap on the number and bring the phone to my ear. "You're gonna call them right now?" Grayson asks in disbelief. "Shouldn't we regroup first? Discuss our tactics?" He says as his eyes widen. I see Ava summon the Netflix camera men to start rolling, while the dialling tone is loudly beeping in my ear. I cover my other ear to block out Grayson yelling at me and I walk away from the group. "Hello?" A soft voice says when the dialling stops. "Hi.. it's Ethan. Y/n's boyfriend." I stutter as my nerves reach the ultimate peak. "Ethan?" This feminine voice says. "It's Ruby. I'm y/n's mom." She says in this familiar British accent. I smile, feeling relieved. She sounds exactly like y/n.

For a minute we touch on the commonly asked questions, like "How are you doing?", before I cut to the chase and say: "I'm here, in London. I'm looking for y/n.". Y/n's mom seems shocked about the revelation that I'm here, in England. That we are all here and she invites us over to their house.

We quickly dropped off our suitcases at the hotel and the entire squadron of youtubers is now gathered in front of a picturesque looking, very small, brick house. She could be here! Y/n could be here and I feel my heart in my throat. The front door slowly opens and the silhouette of a woman appears in the doorway. It's not y/n. I know every inch and every curve of her body and this is not her. I take a step into the direction of the door and light hits the face of this woman. Her features are recognizable. Her tiny, round nose and her almond shaped, brown eyes are an exact copy of y/n's nose and eyes. The resemblance is uncanny and I'm all of a sudden overwhelmed by the feeling of heartbreak. She smiles kindly at me and can probably see the pain in my eyes, because she opens her arms, inviting me into a hug, while saying: "Nice to meet you, Ethan!". Half of the people travelling with us can't tell Grayson and me apart. I haven't even introduced myself to y/n's mom and she immediately knows I'm Ethan while my carbon copy is standing right next to me. She invites us in and a faint strawberry scent fills our noses. "I smell y/n.." I breathe as Iock eyes with Grayson. "Y/n is actually not here." Her mom says and it feels like someone just ripped out my heart. "Do you know where she is?" Kian asks immediately. Her mom shakes her head. "No, I don't.." she says defeated. "Do you know why she can't tell me where she is?" Her mom now asks us.. asks me in particular. I never realized this hurts more people than just y/n and me. I never realized her mom must be worried sick about her. I breathe in deeply and gather all the courage I have in me to tell y/n's mom about what happened, when her phone rings. Ruby looks at her phone and turns the screen towards me. It's an unknown caller. Y/n's mom faintly smiles as she hands me the phone. "It's y/n." She says. "She always calls me anonymously around this time of night." Y/n's mom adds and I can immediately feel my pulse pounding in my temples. With shaking hands I answer the phone. "Mom!" I hear y/n say and her angelic voice fills the room. I feel connected to her immediately and all stress leaves my body. "Y/n.." I say with a raspy voice. "It's Ethan." I add and it stays silent. It feels like forever before she responds with: "Ethan?" And I hear her voice break.