It's Not Real

The first time they noticed it, it was when DC was introduced to Tik Tok.

Florida spent hours getting him away from straightok, claiming that wasn't something his 'poor innocent boyfriend' needed to see. After being reassured that he was free and watching some quality content, Florida went away to cause mischief with Louisiana, confident DC would sit and relax for a while instead of work.

As luck would have it, Florida and Louisiana would come home to find DC's phone abandoned while he yelled about some paperwork in his office to Gov. He had left his screen on, however, and the two couldn't help but see what their boyfriend was searching.

Gender is fake

Don't feel comfortable in gender

Not a boy

Nonbinary

Genderfluid

He/Them

Louisiana and Florida looked at each other surprised, but as soon as they heard DC start to come back pretended like nothing happened and entertained him with stories of their adventures.

It was probably a fluke anyway.

Texas didn't like going into Austin, but DC begged him to go and Austin really wanted to show the fed his city. Austin skipped happily alongside the couple, pointing out different shops and telling stories while DC listened enthusiastically (and Texas wanted to die).

At one point, Texas and Austin got into an argument about lunch, allowing for DC to slip away, and Texas had a momentary panic over losing his boyfriend until Austin pointed behind him.

"Oh he's in The Little Gay Shop, I saw him slip in." Austin explained. Texas bit back his tongue before he yelled at Austin 'why didn't he say something' before hurrying away from his cousin to grab DC. He found DC in a small display with the store's various pin designs, and he saw DC had three in front of him.

One was an enamel pin that looked like a paint splatter with black, purple, and white colors, a they/them pin, a he/them/ pin, and a 'beyond gender' pin.

"Aren't these nice?" DC asked with a smile.

"You gonna get them sugar?" Texas asked and DC immediately went red and put them back.

"N-No I....I just liked them." DC mumbled pushing past his boyfriend to leave the shop. Texas watched him leave before looking back at the pins.

He spent forty dollars buying all four.

"Y'know DC." California said one day, hanging with DC in his office. The state was sitting on one of the chairs closest to his boyfriend's desk, watching him work in-between chapters of his book. DC hummed in response, not looking up from the paperwork he was reading.

"There's such a thing as 'he/them' pronouns." California announced. DC paused, eyes going wide.

"I-Is there?" DC asked, looking at his boyfriend.

"A lot of people go by them." California added with a soft smile. DC swallowed hard before bowing his head again to focus on the paperwork.

"Good for them." DC muttered.

Two days later in another chaotic meeting, California tried to tune the arguments out around him and focused on his other boyfriends. He glanced at DC, who seemed weirdly distracted and not trying to bring order to the meeting at all, instead scribbling on his paper. California managed a peek and saw several variarious of DC's name, alongside 'he/them' pronouns reversed in every which way.

California smiled, and turned away when DC glanced up. It was exactly as he expected.

"You're non-binary cherry, it's okay." New York whispered late at night at the Statehouse. DC shook his head, trying to fight the tears from falling.

"I can't....I can't be....my father..."

"Your father was a bastard." New York pointed out.

"I'm disgracing him. First being gay and now this?" DC whimpered. He tugged at his hair and buried his face in his hands.

"Why can't I just be a boy?" DC cried.

"Because deep down in your heart, you know that's not what you are." New York pointed out. DC let out a tiny cry, not looking up to meet his boyfriend's eyes.

"But what will IDC say? Gov? Everyone back in Washington? My office is two down from Marjorie Taylor Green! I'll never hear the end of it." DC pointed out.

"Then you go there, and show those bastards your true self." New York whispered furiously, kissing the side of DC's head. "And you know IDC will accept you, Gov I don't know I'm not too sure I like the uptight asshole but your sister will." DC let out another sniff and let himself lean into New York's shoulder, letting his hands fall.

"I don't feel like a boy, but I don't want to be a girl either." DC whispered. "I don't know what I want to be."

"Babysteps cherry, baby steps." New York whispered kissing DC's hair again. "But this is a good start."

"Darlin'? It's almost time to go now." Louisiana announced walking out of the kitchen towards his boyfriend's room. He was proud of himself for managing to feed DC a good breakfast, and prayed that he'd eat while in Washington.

"Either way, we'll feed him up when he gets back." Louisiana thought with a soft smile, reaching DC's door and opening it. DC had his back turned towards the door, obviously doing some final touches to his outfit. He had to travel in his suit this time because he had a meeting right when he landed in Washington, something he was not thrilled with.

"Ready darlin'?" Louisiana asked. DC turned around and faced Louisiana looking unsure and nervous at the same time. Louisiana wondered the sudden change until he saw a new pin on the other side of DC's lapel.

He/Them

"Darlin'." Louisiana whispered.

"I....I....don't know if I fully accept it." DC admitted looking down. Louisiana approached his boyfriend carefully and touched his cheek.

"Just so I know." Louisiana whispered. "He or they today?"

"T-They. Please." DC begged and Louisiana smiled.

"Well alright then." Louisiana smirked and leaned in to kiss DC. They kissed for a few seconds before he broke the kiss, gazing into his boyfriend's eyes.

"It's not a race darlin', we'll be with you every step of the way." Louisiana whispered.

"It....it feels nice to admit...even for a little." DC whispered trying to fight the tears from falling. Louisiana kissed DC's lips again then took their hand.

"Remember that right hook I taught you?" Louisiana asked. DC nodded. "Good. In case anyone down there gives you trouble."

"Or I could just call you, Texas, and New York." DC whispered smiling brightly. Louisiana laughed and leaned in to kiss them one more time.

"We'll be down in a heartbeat darlin'."