gagagarage (I have no witty title for this)

A/N: I ended up switching to 'them' halfway 'cuss through the course of this, it's taking place when DC's having a bad night

Coming out to California should be easy.

California was the only one out of the main six who identified as agender, and helped DC learn terms and vocabulary that allowed him to explore his own identity. It was really a no big deal situation.

Too bad DC was still freaking out inside.

DC didn't know how to approach it with California; usually when the topic of gender came up he usually got mad and started yelling at anyone who'd listen about being agender and how gender was made up and fake. Every quiet moment the two shared, DC felt an urging voice in the back of his head just to tell California, that he'd love and accept him no matter what. But he always silenced it, telling it that it was not the time to tell California, and a better time was coming.

Florida and Louisiana were more than accepting of DC trying to wait, and didn't out him to California, or anyone else for that matter. Still, there were small subtle times that DC was feeling differently than he usually would. On bad gender days, Louisiana was often caught calling DC 'them' and sometimes DC would 'same' Florida's jokes when he complained about gender. DC secretly hoped California would pick up on these things and ask, but the hipster never did.

DC was having one of those bad gender days tonight, feeling choked by every article of clothing they owned, not feeling comfortable, and wishing they weren't born with a defining gender. It all started with some anti-trans bills Gov emailed earlier in the day for DC to look over (and God bless him, Gov really did try to give DC a warning about them) and accumulated with DC on the couch in the living room.

Louisiana was being a sweetheart and had run off to get DC some of their favorite sweets, meanwhile Florida had gone out of his way to scare the other states out of the house so DC could have some peace. DC cuddled themselves on the couch, trying to stop any intrusive thoughts flowing through their head.

"You're just faking it, you're not non-binary."

"There's only two genders dipshit."

"Aunt Carol's right, this is just because I didn't have a mom."

"I wish I could just die."

"Rosie?" Came a soft voice and DC glanced up. California entered the Statehouse, holding some books he just got out of the local library, staring at his partner in concern.

"Shit. Florida never got to him." DC thought attempting to get up.

"H-Hey poppy, whatcha got there?" DC asked.

"Baby what's wrong? Are you sick?" California asked, approaching the couch. DC cursed under their breath, of course California couldn't easily be distracted.

"I....I just haven't....been feeling well today. Y'know how it is." DC said with a nervous smile. They jumped when California put a hand on their forehead.

"You feel okay, have you taken your temperature?" California asked.

"Yeah! Just a little tired." DC lied, smiling and hoping California would go away.

"Are you sure baby?" California whispered, using the big concerned eyes DC loved so much. DC felt their walls beginning to fall.

"Poppy I'm fine, I promise." DC said, beginning to laugh. "I'm just having a bad night! You know how it is!"

"And sure, maybe a few of the anti-trans bills Gov emailed me really bothered me, but that's what they should do right? Bother me because basic human rights are being stamped out?"

"Well rosie I'm glad they are but that doesn't mean--"

"And okay, maybe I'm just....hating being born with a body today and having a bad gender night. That's normal right? Which adult hasn't questioned their gender?" DC said with a laugh. California's eyes went wide.

"Rosie...."

"It's perfectly normal to feel like you're faking it this ENTIRE TIME and just wishing either you could PICK A GODDAMN GENDER or DIE." DC said, laughing. They felt two hands on the sides of their cheek and California forcing them to look him in the eye.

"DC." California said seriously. "Are you agender?" DC swallowed hard.

"Non-binary. I....I figured it out a few weeks ago." DC whimpered as California pulled them into his arms.

"What do you want to be called?" California whispered, kissing DC's head.

"I....I'm really leaning on he/she/them." DC whispered nuzzling into California's chest. "But can you use 'them' right now? I'm....I'm having a really bad gender night."

"Of course rosie, whatever you want." California whispered. "But I wish you came to me earlier, I can help you."

"I know, I'm so stupid." DC sniffered.

"You're not stupid, you're learning." California pointed out making DC tilt their head up to meet his eyes. "I love you no matter what." DC smiled watery and leaned in to kiss their boyfriend, lips locked in a kiss for two solid minutes. California eventually broke the kiss and leaned back, studying DC up and down.

"Y'know....I think I know what'll help you." California announced.

"I'll do anything....Loui's already getting me some candy though." DC said, making California laugh.

"Nah not just that, come with me."

Louisiana burst into the house later, followed by Florida.

"Darlin'?" Louisiana called holding up a Walmart bag. "I couldn't figure out which kind of Sour Patch kids you wanted so I bought 'em all."

"I stole you a shit ton of chocolate too." Florida added. The two states looked around the empty living room, attention quickly snapping to some giggling coming from California's room. The two put their bags down and walked down the hall, opening the door and peeking inside.

"God hold still, you are such a baby." California ordered trying to adjust something on the outfit DC was wearing.

"I'm just so excited, I love it." DC whined. Their eyes fell on Florida and Louisiana in the doorway, and they smiled wide.

"Dia! Look! Poppy gave me one of his old skirts!" DC announced as California released them. The skirt California gave DC was a pink, mesh daisy skirt with a long-sleeved white blouse under it. DC looked so happy as they gave it a spin, practically glowing.

"You look great darlin'." Louisiana said with a smile walking in and kissing his partner.

"Wait the cure for DC's bad gender days is dressing 'em up?" Florida asked as Louisiana twirled DC.

"Nah I doubt it'll work all the time." California said with a soft smile. "But they obviously like to bend femme, and if it helps, then it does."

"So I assume you know." Florida announced.

"I really wish they came to me first, but I understand." California sighed. "It sucks when you feel like you can't safely come out, not even to your boyfriends." The two watched their boyfriends play around for a few more minutes before Florida spoke up.

"Hey we have a bunch of candy waiting." Florida announced.

"AWESOME. Want to share?" DC asked as Florida looped his arm into theirs.

"If we eat all that we'll be up all night." Louisiana pointed out.

"Oh c'mon magnolia." California teased going to DC's other side and kissing their cheek. "For rosie." Louisiana faked an exasperated sigh.

"Alright. But only for rosie." Louisiana said with a smile making his other boyfriends cheer.