Hiding the Pain

"Sorry I'm late everyone." DC announced with a sigh entering the meeting room.

"Hey Dee, shouldn't you be saying pardon me?" Florida teased on the other side of the table.

"Oh ha, ha funny Dia." DC mocked with a smile taking his jacket off. "Alright, let's get started."

"Nice shades." New York complimented. DC smiled and adjusted his sunglasses a little. The lenses were little pink hearts that were 'dripping' and made him look, in the opinion of his boyfriends, absolutely adorable.

"Thanks. C'mon, I need updates." DC announced. As soon as he said that, the meeting fell into chaos as per was the norm. The fed wasn't even trying to pay attention, just thankful for the usual shouting and teasing that he grew to love. As Oregon started to venimentally deny he was ever friends with California, DC's phone went off and he snuck a check.

G: I TOLD YOU I WOULD TAKE CARE OF IT.

DC snuck a glance to make sure everyone was occupied before responding back.

D: Well I did, so you can stop worrying about it!

G: What happened?

D: Nothing Gov...

G: NO. I know that fucking tone, one of my interns said they heard shouting. What. Happened.

D: He was throwing a fit but that's it Gov!

"You okay sha?" DC quickly looked up and noticed Louisiana was staring at him concerned.

"Oh....oh yeah just paperwork problems but that's it." DC said with a quick smile tucking his phone away.

"Y'know what, I love those shades darlin'...mind if I try them on..."

"NO." DC quickly shouted, briefly causing a pause in the argument. "I mean......I got them to match my prescription, they'd hurt you."

"I didn't know you wore glasses." California muttered.

"He probably doesn't put them on, like a lot of things DC doesn't do." Texas said with a glare making DC gulp.

"L-Look can we keep this going, please?" DC begged, sighing in relief as the arguments re-started. He felt his phone vibrate back in his pocket, and snuck a glance again.

G: Did he hit you? George Kelly you need to tell me.

D: I need to listen to this meeting.

G: GEORGE.

D: Gov I'm fine. We had a conversation, he threw a tantrum, and that was it.

D: Stop worrying about me.

DC quietly snuck to his room after the meeting, thankful Florida caused a big enough stink with his college football mocking to allow him to slip out unnoticed. He had to go back to Washington after this, the turbulent two months allowed not much time for breaks, but Gov and IDC would be up his ass and he knew he had to divert suspicion. The fed quietly pulled up his make-up collection and dug around until he found a bottle of foundation, concealer, and powder, then took off his shades.

He had a pretty good black eye from when the president hit him.

The fed touched the wound and flinched, it was still tender and it'd hurt like hell putting the make-up on. Taking a deep breath, he took out a brush and put some foundation on, before taking another breath and patting it around the wound.

"Maybe I should've put some ice on it before." DC thought posthumously as the foundation covered up most of the wound. Feeling thankful the harder part was over, DC opened the small concealer bottle and dabbed it on the spots that were still coming through, wincing with every touch. Finally, after blending the concealer out, he dabbed some powder all over which had been less painful then the wet liquid he just put on his eye.

DC sat back and looked at his work in the mirror; it wasn't the best but it was concealed, and it'd get him through the next two days. The fed was about to clean up his mess when a knock came at his door and New York came in.

"Hey cherry, you have to go back right away? We were just going to get some ice cream." New York announced.

"Well." DC said with a soft smile looking at his watch. "I have a good hour." New York squinted his eyes and leaned into DC, making the fed sweat nervously.

"You've got hair on your forehead." New York muttered, plucking off a small piece of hair from his forehead.

"Ah. So what I get for not brushing my hair." DC said with a laugh, silently relieved. New York took DC's hand and the two walked out of his room to join their other boyfriends. DC silently thanked any God he could think of that none of his boyfriends seemed to talk about his concealed eye and even Louisiana had dropped the issue of the sunglasses entirely.

It was only two weeks until inauguration, how much worse can it get?