Shared Experience

CDC glanced up at the door opening and groaned.

"I-I'm finding the numbers okay?" CDC said exasperated at Gov and IDC standing over the desk.

"No we-we don't need them." Gov sighed running a hand down his face.

"Then what? I'm very busy." CDC pointed out as the two sat in a couple of chairs in front of the desk.

"We want to talk to you about DC." IDC announced.

"Did he have a breakdown?" CDC asked, genuinely concerned.

"No, no it's another thing." IDC began. IDC cocked an eyebrow confused.

"Do you know what....being non-binary is?" Gov asked. CDC sat back in shock.

"Y-Yeah. I know what that is. Why?" CDC asked gently.

"We've been doing research, but we're just as confused as when we started." IDC explained. CDC could tell the international government was nervous as she kept twisting and playing with her hands. "Since you know science, we figured we could ask you."

"Is DC....non-binary?" CDC whispered. Gov and IDC nodded.

"I figure he...or...."

"It's okay you can use he." Gov said, and CDC swallowed hard at the commanding tone of his voice. DC wouldn't have much issue with misgendering with him around.

"I figure he's not out to the rest of the office then." CDC finished.

"No and it's not really a safe spot for him to." IDC said with a sigh.

"You know what non-binary means right?"

"So does he not have a gender?" Gov asked and CDC couldn't help but inwardly smile at how innocent he looked.

"He doesn't identify with either gender or he doesn't feel a strong attraction to either." CDC corrected.

"Is it my fault?" IDC cut in. "I....I used to dress him up when we were kids, it used to cheer him up but....did it cause him to do this?"

"No, IDC no." CDC said softly, taking IDC's hand. "It may have helped with some small feelings of discomfort before he knew what he was feeling, but you didn't do anything."

"So what can we do?" Gov asked.

"Just be there for him, help him on his bad days and his good. That's all he'll ask for." CDC explained. IDC sighed and CDC could tell she was still feeling bad, and worried for her twin. Gov put an arm around her shoulder and squeezed her tight; CDC knew DC was in good hands with those two around him.

"C'mon, let's get back." Gov whispered helping his cousin up. The two governments left the office and CDC leaned forward again. Maybe a visit to DC was in order.

CDC stood in the doorway of DC's office, watching the government work. If DC knew the doctor was there, he didn't acknowledge it, he was too laser focused on the bill placed in front of him. CDC sighed and knocked on the doorframe again finally making DC glance up.

"Hey Cee." DC greeted as CDC came in. "What's up?"

"Had an interesting visit with your sister and cousin today." CDC announced sitting on one of the many chairs in DC's office.

"Yeah? Did Gov burn his hand on his coffee again because he forgot to put the mug in the machine?" DC said with a smirk.

"Nah not yet, it's been eight days since that last nonsense." CDC said with a laugh. "Nah they were talking about you." DC's face fell in confusion.

"Me? I haven't had a breakdown in over three weeks, I've been okay." DC pointed out. He looked at CDC's face, and then realization hit him.

"They told you." DC whispered.

"Only because they had questions, and Google wasn't helping." CDC quickly pointed out. DC slumped back in his chair and sighed.

"You don't think I'm a freak, do you?" DC asked.

"Science says sex is binary DC, the two genders bullshit is a lie." CDC pointed out. DC sighed again.

"I figured it out a month ago, but didn't have the guts to tell them until last week." DC explained.

"So your boyfriends know?"

"They helped me." DC whispered and CDC nodded. He looked around to make sure no one was around to overhear and got up, crouching right next to DC.

"Can I tell you a secret?" CDC whispered. DC nodded.

"Me too." DC's eyes went wide.

"Y-You're....."

"I'm pretty good at keeping it on the low huh?" CDC said teasingly.

"Holy shit, have I been misgendering you this entire time I'm so sorry--"

"Dee, Dee calm down. I haven't told anyone, I'm sure you know it's not safe to be out here." CDC pointed out. DC nodded and CDC could note the recognition in the government's eyes.

"So what do you want to be called?" DC asked.

"They/He but I switch to he when I'm here cuss." CDC gestured wildly and DC nodded. "You?"

"He/She/They, but it depends." DC explained.

"An all pronoun kinda person eh?" CDC smirked and DC laughed.

"You should see me when I'm really into it." DC said with a wink and CDC laughed. They stood up again and DC stood up with them.

"Look, if you need someone to talk to about this, my office is down the hall. I can answer any questions you may have." CDC said with a soft smile.

"Thanks Cee." DC said, hoping the doctor didn't catch up on how watery his voice sounded. CDC smiled and the two enbies hugged, lost in the shared experience of not identifying as either gender.

A loud shriek made the two break apart.

"SON OF A BITCH--" Gov screamed from down the hall.

"And we're back down to zero." CDC groaned, running a hand down their face.

"One of these days we're investing in a Keurig." DC said face palming as IDC ran into his office.

"DeeDee, Gov--"

"We know." DC and CDC said with a groan.

"Y'know if I didn't know any better I'd call Gov a useless gay." CDC muttered leaving the office with DC and IDC. DC laughed and looped an arm around CDC's shoulders.

"Cee, do I have news for you..."