(9) Dancing In The Kitchen

Two weeks later 

Bucky was at a charity ball he was standing with the guys and their wives. 

"What is up with Shay?" Nat said 

"I don't know..she's just been distant lately." He said as Lucas joined the group.

"Evening boys, ladies you look lovely." Lucas said 

"Finally now I don't look some weirdo." Bucky said 

"Dude I had to wait for my sister. She helps me with picking out my shit for these things so I don't embarrass her." Lucas said 

As the night wore on it became apparent to his friends that Shayla wasn't having anything to do with Bucky. He scanned the room as another slow song began and he didn't see her anywhere. He figured she just went to the bathroom. He kept searching for her after it had been thirty minutes. She finally returned to the ballroom and got herself another drink. 

When the ball was over it was quiet in the limo just like the ride to the ball. He had undid his bow tie and he looked over at her. 

"Have I done something?" He said when she pushed his hand away from hers. 

"Buck I'm tired okay. Geez." She said 

He looked out the window as he wiped a stray tear. "You know we don't have to have sex Shayla I'd be happy with a blow job at this point. It would be nice for once in this marriage you made me feel like you want me." He said as they approached the penthouse building. 

She just rolled her eyes and started to go inside. While he started to go towards the parking garage. 

"Where are you going?" She said 

"Not like you care." He said as he walked backwards. 

When he got in his car he called McKenna's cellphone. She was working on the last wedding cake she had to make. 

"Hello?" She said 

"Hey it's James.." he said 

"Oh you are calling me late. Haven't seen much of you lately." She said 

"I'm coming over..I need to see you." He said 

"James.." she whispered 

"I'll be there soon. I'm not far I live across the street from the bakery." He said 

He started up the car and made his way behind the bakery. He parked next to her car she let him in through the back.

"You look fancy." She said 

"I had charity ball to attend." He said as he followed her inside. 

She began to put the finishing touches on the cake. Once she was done she looked at him. 

"I was starting to think that maybe you finally listened to me." She said 

"Dance with me?" He said 

She looked at him confused. "Dance with me Mckenna." He said 

She took off her apron. "I don't understand what you see when you look at me." She said as she began to turn off everything and go upstairs. 

He followed her upstairs as she unlocked her apartment door. 

"I see beautiful woman who is smart and talented. And very stubborn." He said as he came into the apartment. 

"Let me put this into perspective. You are a Barnes a well known member of society. A high ranking CEO who is married. But even if you weren't married James you could have any heiress out there. I'm just a baker.." she said as she looked down. 

"I'm a mess and you are standing here in what looks to be a 4 thousand dollar tux and I'm covered in flour and you are asking me to dance." She said 

Bucky slipped off the jacket and his bow tie. He undid a few buttons and his cuff links. He rolled up his sleeves as he walked towards her. 

"You sound crazy right now." He said as he pulled her hair down. Her long blonde hair fell down over her shoulders. 

"James." She whispered 

"You are beautiful and you shouldn't think so low of yourself McKenna." He said 

He caressed her cheek and ran his thumb along her bottom lip. "I'd give anything to kiss these beautiful delectable pouty lips. To hold you close to me." He said 

She swallowed hard. 

He hit play on his phone and laid it on her kitchen counter. 

Versace on The Floor began to play as he pulled her closer and they began to dance in the middle of her small kitchen. Their foreheads together he felt her body relax into his arms. 

"See not so bad." He whispered 

The next song that started up was "Dreaming of You." By Cigarettes After Sex. He began to sing the words in her ear. She smiled as he did. 

By the end of four songs she saw that it was after 1 in the morning. 

"You should go." She whispered as he dipped her. 

He pulled her back up to him and spun her. He pulled her back into his arms. "I wanna stay." He whispered in her ear. 

"James.." she whispered 

"I wanna hold you baby. I wanna hold you all night feel you next to me. I'll be good baby I promise." He whispered 

She looked up at him. She wanted to say no but what came out was yes. They went into her bedroom she changed in her bathroom. She joined him in the bed they fell asleep nose to nose as he held her.