I Won't Give Up (Beetho)

Au: None 

Word Count: ~2k

TW/CW: PTSD/Trauma

(I feel like it's a crime I've never written standalone Beetho content)

After going through a traumatic near-death experience, Etho went numb. He no longer showed emotions, spoke, or hardly acknowledged anything. The hermits were worried how long he'd be this way, but not Beef. Beef believed in his boyfriend and in his own abilities to help him.

"Is there anything you want to do today?" Beef asked as they sat together for breakfast at his hacienda. Etho didn't even look at him and just blinked. Although his mask hid it, Beef knew his lips were cemented into a thin line. He in turn gave a cheerful smile. "Well, I need to check on my shops in the shopping district. We can check on yours too if you want! It's such a nice day!"

The white-haired hermit just lowered his mask to eat a piece of waffle. It may not seem like much, Beef was proud of him for just eating. It took him almost a month to get him to eat by himself. "You look so beautiful today," the brunette murmured, kissing his temple. Etho's cheeks gained a light dusting of pink, but his expression stayed still.

-

Hand in hand, the two made their way through the shopping district. They made their rounds to both of their shops while Beef made idle conversation. Occasionally he'd ask Etho a small question but never pushed for an answer.

Once they finished - and visited a few shops to buy some things - Beef looked to the shorter. He looks worn out, he realized with a soft smile. "Let's get you back," the brunette murmured, kissing his forehead.

When they were back inside the hacienda, the taller pulled supplies together so he could continue to work over at Three Fox Hole. "Alrighty, I'll be heading out! Do you want to come with?" he asked as he tucked his shulker boxes back into his inventory.

He could tell the cosplayer was hesitating, so he ruffled his hair. "You don't have to, y'know? Plus it'll probably just be boring for you to just sit and watch." In response, Etho sat down on a nearby couch and slowly curled up. As much as Beef didn't want to leave him, he knew he was capable of taking care of himself.

Etho didn't need him by his side all the time, but Beef couldn't share the sentiment.

As selfish as that may be.

-

By the time he returned the sun was low. He had eaten lunch while building, and it seemed Etho had eaten as well. Speaking of whom, he found him sitting outside and gazing at the clouds. After a peaceful dinner, Beef tucked him into his side of the bed and gave his cheek a soft kiss. "Night, Etho," he whispered, the same smile still on his face.

He left the bedroom momentarily, claiming it was for the bathroom.

And although he did this every night, he never made it past the bedroom door.

He sat just outside, his smile fading far too fast as his anxiety consumed him from the shadows lurking in the night. Sitting on the ground he hugged his knees and buried his face between them and his chest to muffle his quiet cries.

What if Etho never gets better, and he stays this way forever? And if he does begin to respond again, who's to say the first thing he does isn't push me away and criticize me for being so clingy? The same thoughts circled his mind as they always did, every night for weeks.

Beef keeps his doubts and worries tucked away during the daytime, as Etho comes first. But he always allows himself just a few minutes during the night to let some of his emotions out. It's all he needs, really.