Then Suddenly Hels Was Only a Man - Part Two (Bels)

Au: None

WC: ~4k

If anyone gets the reference from the title I owe you a drabble /hj

-

Bdubs' heart was still racing with anxiety, even when the two made it to the safety of the secluded field. Two weeks had passed and Hels had finally expressed an interest in seeing the overworld. So, Bdubs found a flower field amidst a birch forest away from the main area for them to share a small picnic. He realized he was still holding Hels' hand, but the other was squeezing his so he didn't try to let go yet.

He cracked a smile, though sympathy pierced his heart. Hels seemed so... entranced by the sky. "The air smells so fresh," he breathed. Gently, Bdubs pulled him down to sit with him. Hels quickly wiped his eyes with his free hand and immediately Bdubs pulled him into a hug, only letting go of his hand to properly squeeze him. "I'm fine," Hels mumbled, although he still held tight to Bdubs.

Pulling away, the two opened up the picnic basket they brought, taking out the assortment of fruits and small sweets. After eating a few grapes, Bdubs hesitated before suggesting, "Listen, if you ever decide to leave the nether to live here, you're more than welcome to room with me at my monolith until you've got a place of your own. I have plenty of room."

Or you can just become my permanent roommate.

He buried the sudden thought for the time being.

"I think that'd be nice," Hels softly agreed. "Although I'm- I don't see myself moving here anytime soon. As nice as it is."

Bdubs nodded, biting into a strawberry. He felt the juice dribble down the corner of his lip, but he figured he could wait until he finished the fruit to find a napkin.

Suddenly, he felt a cloth napkin gently touch his face and he froze. Heat quickly rose to his cheeks and it felt as though his heart stopped for just a moment. "S-Sorry you just- I didn't mean to- sorry," Hels stammered, quickly pulling his hand away.

He cracked a smile. "Thanks," he breathed. Bdubs had to practically force himself to look up at the sky and not stare at Hels.

With a deep breath, he laid down on the blanket, watching as the clouds manipulated their shapes. "Hey, that one kind of looks like a strider," he pointed out with a light laugh.

"What do you mean?" Hels asked. When Bdubs patted the space beside him, Hels raised an eyebrow but laid down beside him anyway.

"That one there." Bdubs pointed to the cloud he was talking about, gesturing where the body and legs were. Once again he felt himself freezing as Hels tilted his head towards him, his hair brushing his shoulder.

He hummed for a moment. "Wait, yeah I see it now. Huh. That's kinda cool! What else can you see?"

"Well, what can you see?" Bdubs countered, finding his breath again. Once he could relax, he tilted his head towards Hels, finding space above his shoulder.

Hesitantly, Hels pointed up. "I think- I think that looks like a trident?"

"Yeah, I see it! Oh and over th-" In the distance, Bdubs heard the faint yet distinguishable sound of rockets. Immediately the two sat up, Hels looking horrified.

"I can't be seen," he hissed, tightly gripping the blanket.

Recalling Hels admitting to his old want of taking over the server reminded Bdubs of why he was reacting so extremely. Thinking quickly he reached into the picnic basket where he had an invisibility potion for just in case and handed it over.