Sick Day (Grumbo)

AU: None

Word Count: ~1.1k

It was such a beautiful day on the Hermitcraft server that Grian and Mumbo just couldn't pass up the opportunity to just stroll around the shopping district together. At first, they just talked, holding hands as they walked, but then, Grian would cough. And as time went by, he'd cough some more. "Are you feeling okay?" Mumbo asked, concerned.

"Don't worry, I'm fine!" Grian tried to reassure his boyfriend, but it was hard for Mumbo to believe him when his words were followed by another heavy cough.

"Grian, are you sick?"

"I'm sure it's just something stuck in my throat or whatever," he shrugged it off, not wanting to ruin such a nice day.

"If you say so." Mumbo clearly didn't believe him, but he also didn't want to argue with his boyfriend. I can just make some homemade soup for him later, just to be safe. He decided.

As the two approached the large, terraformed wall, Mumbo couldn't help but admire the beauty of it, despite having seen it multiple times already. He felt his mind beginning to wander when he suddenly felt an extra weight pressing against his chest. Looking down, he realizes Grian has collapsed on him. Mumbo felt his boyfriend's forehead, not really shocked to feel it was hot. Without another thought, he scooped up the sick hermit bridal-style and took off.

"Where.." Grian slowly blinked his eyes open and looked around. My bedroom in my Hobbit Hole? It was then he spotted Mumbo sitting on the edge of his bed.

"How are you feeling?" he gently asked, taking the compress off of Grian's forehead.

"I don't know, tired? What happened, anyway? Last I remember we were looking at Scar's face carved into that cliffside or whatever," he said, watching as Mumbo dipped the washcloth into a bowl of water and wring it out. He then proceeded to place it back on Grian's forehead. The cold compress felt soothing on his hot and sweaty head.

"You passed out and I carried you here since this is the only place with an actual bedroom between the two of us if you can believe it," Mumbo laughed at his own joke, before ruffling Grian's hair. "Anyways, you should be getting some rest. By the time you wake up again, I should have food ready for you." With that Mumbo leaned forward and kissed the top of Grian's head. He stood up to leave the room when his boyfriend grabbed his sleeve.

"Thank you," he smiled, hiding the guiltiness he felt.

"Of course, I'm always going to look out for you," Mumbo promised, before kissing Grian's hand and leaving the room. It took only a couple of minutes for him to doze off yet again.

This time Grian woke to the smell of soup. He managed to sit up and leaned over to grab a tissue and blow his nose as Mumbo walked in, carrying a tray with a bowl of chicken noodle soup, a glass of water, and a pill. He put the tray down on the bed as Grian threw out the tissue and cleaned his hands with sanitizer. "Thank you," he said, looking up at Mumbo. In return, he moved the cold compress and felt Grian's head with his hand, before kissing his forehead.

"Have the medicine first and eat up, okay? I'll make you tea later if you need it," he offered, sitting down on the edge of the bed. After taking his medicine, Grian eagerly ate the soup. The smile on Mumbo's face slowly faded, and he looked away to hide it. "Why didn't you tell me you weren't feeling well?" he quietly asked. The hermit let the spoon sit in the soup as he stared into it.

"I just didn't want to ruin such a nice day. You seemed really excited to just walk around the shopping district since we never really do it together. But I guess I still ruined it anyway," he admitted. All of the guilty feelings from earlier slowly crept back, washing over him as tears welled up in his eyes. Mumbo looked over at Grian, a little surprised to see him on the verge of tears. He leaned over, attacking his boyfriend with a big side hug.

"You didn't ruin my day. I'm perfectly happy being able to take care of you," he reassured Grian, who turned to face Mumbo so he could return the hug. He gripped on the back of the hermit's suit, biting back any tears that tried to fall down his face.

"You're the best," was all he managed to get out. Pulling away, Mumbo brushed the hair out of Grian's face and kissed the top of his head again.

"I know," he grinned.

By the next day, Grian was already feeling better. He tried to convince Mumbo that he could take care of himself, but he wouldn't listen. Instead, Mumbo just held Grian against his chest, petting his head. "Shh, it's okay, Mombo is here to take care of you." The sick hermit pushed him away, laughing.

"Mombo? Where did my boyfriend go?" he joked.

"Nowhere, he's staying right here," MumboJumbo promised, kissing Grian on the cheek. He sat on the edge of the bed, holding his hand until the blonde hermit fell asleep. As cute as his boyfriend was sleeping, the mustached hermit stood up and left the room to make tea.

"Mmh, that's really good!" Grian set his steaming mug down, smiling at Mumbo. "Thanks for the tea with honey,"

"Sure thing! With all that coughing I figured you needed something to soothe your throat with," ruffling his boyfriend's blonde hair, Mumbo kissed his forehead. "Your fever has definitely gone down significantly, that's good!" Looking out the window, he was just able to see the sun disappear. Meanwhile, Grian was busy chugging the rest of his tea.

"You're too nice to me, you know?" the hermit joked, grinning. His boyfriend stood up, straightening his suit out.

"No, you definitely deserve it," Mumbo reassured him. "Anyway, you still need some rest. I'll see you in the morning!" Grian yanked on his arm, pulling him onto the bed with him. "G-Grian!"

"I'm sorry, I know this is really selfish, but could you stay the night here, with me?" he asked, staring at Mumbo.

"Hey, don't apologize! Of course, I'll stay with you. Besides, I have a great immune system,"

After taking off his suit jacket and tie, Mumbo climbed under the bed covers and held Grian. He kissed the top of his head yet again, causing him to look up. "You're really the best," Grian said, before kissing him.

"I know, and you are too." They kissed once more, and the blondie snuggled up against his boyfriend's chest, and fell asleep.