On the Roof, We See the Stars (Bdoc)

Au: Highschool AU

WC: ~1.6k

-

As Doc trudged upstairs to his bedroom, Bdubs followed behind with a sympathetic smile plastered on his face. Nothing like spending dinner being reminded of their upcoming graduation in a few months and the fact that they'll be separated for college.

Doc groaned, flopping onto his bed. "Time is going by way too fast," he complained, voice muffled by his comforter.

Lightly laughing, Bdubs sat on the bed beside him and patted his shoulder. "We've still got time! Plus, we don't live in the middle ages, we can still talk as much as you want," he assured him.

His friend rolled over, revealing a small frown as he stared up at Bdubs. "I'm just not ready to not see you every day. I don't want to say goodbye yet." His whispers pierced Bdubs' heart with a poisoned-dipped arrow. If he was delusional enough, he could pretend Doc liked him back, that his words had romantic connotations, but they didn't and he had to live with that.

"I don't either," he sighed. "But hey, we've got a few months left, right?"

Doc sat up, their shoulders brushing. "Barely two months. Not to mention we're both turning 18 soon," he grumbled.

For just a moment, Bdubs allowed himself to relish in the moment. He leaned just close enough so their shoulders could keep contact. It was those small moments that he'd miss the most.

A breeze from outside the window swept his hair forward and tickled the back of his neck.

That's when Bdubs was struck with a brilliant idea. "I know that technically when we become independent adults, it becomes easier to do basically whatever we want, but I say now while we're still legally kids, we try everything we want to before we graduate and turn 18! Make dumb choices and have stupid little adventures; it'll be the best way to spend our last months together!" He eagerly suggested as he jumped up and stood on the bed.

Doc laughed in disbelief. "What? I mean- well- did you- do you have anything in mind?"

Without explaining himself, Bdubs climbed out the open window onto the roof. When his friend began to protest, he looked back and extended his hand. "C'mon, you've had perfect access up here since forever and we've never done it!" He insisted with a wide smile.

"If we fall or get in trouble I'll push you out the window next time," the hybrid jokingly threatened as he took his hand.

As the two climbed up atop the roof, Bdubs found the night sky was already sprinkled with bright stars. He also found that even when they sat down, Doc hadn't let go of his hand.

"Now this is a view I'll miss," he murmured.

"I know," Doc whispered.

When Bdubs snuck a glance, he found his friend looking at him rather than the sky. He cursed himself for letting his hopes continuously grow, but what else could he do?

"S-So, ah, anything you want to do before graduating? Some classic high school shenanigan you never got to experience?" He prompted.

Doc's ears turned a reddish pink. "Well I've ah, never been on a date before so- I'd like to have been on at least one."

Bdubs regretted asking. Pulling his hand away, he hugged his knees. "I can't say they're that exciting. I've been on two or three first dates and trust me; it sucks when people get... bored so easily of you," he muttered. "I mean I can't blame anyone; it was freshman and sophomore year. But- But we're not talking about me! Is um, is there anyone, in particular, you'd want to go on a date with, or is it- is it just being on a date that you're after?" He asked, flashing a smile.