Chapter 22

Chapter 22:

Rogue sat stiffly on Remy's clean white sofa, leaned forward so her elbows were rested on her knees. The last hour had passed quickly. She had tried to explain what had happened to Remy straight away but there had been too much to do. She had got bits out like that the school had been raided, that they were the only ones who got out, that her skin was safe to touch and the other basic need to know stuff.

Other than that, everything still needed to be explained, to Rogue as well. She had no idea what had really happened, only Kitty and Jubilee did and they were still unconscious, tucked into the double bed in Remy's spare room together. Remy himself was in the kitchen making tea or coffee or something like that.

Rogue's body still shook slightly but she wasn't sure why. She was no longer afraid and neither did she feel particularly tired. Yet still she shook and she couldn't control it. Bringing her hand up to her head, she let out a shuddered sigh. She hunched her shoulders over and buried her face in her raised hand. The sound of the 24 hour news channel was only a background noise for Rogue, her hearing swamped with the yelling and shouting of the voices in her head. Pained cries echoed throughout her being and orders she didn't understand rang in her ears, struggling to be heard above everything else;

"We need more support over here!...Just keep them back!" Some random voice said that sounded like it was coming from outside.
She didn't know what was going on. She didn't know why she could hear all she could. She didn't know why Head Remy wasn't helping her. In particular she wished she knew that because then she'd know how to feel. Worried for herself, worried for Head Remy or angry at Head Remy for not getting off his psyche arse and helping her.

Suddenly, the pressure of someone's hand came down on her shoulder and Rogue, forgetting where she was, flinched away violently. Her head shot up and her eyes met with those of Remy, soft and understanding. Rogue let out a frustrated breath at herself and let herself relax again.
"Li'l jumpy hmm?" Remy said softly as he set down a steaming mug on the coffee table at Rogue's knee.

He sat down heavily next to her and looked at her closely for a while before speaking. "So...Yo' wan' tell Remy wha' happened?"
"Ah don't even know what happened." Rogue answered quietly. "One second Ah'd passed aht and the next, mah bedroom door was being kicked in bah two men in black army uniforms."
"Are dhey dhe ones who put dhe collars on yo' all?" Remy inquired. Rogue gave a small nod but said nothing. Remy sighed and wrapped his arm around her shoulders then pulled her to his side in a hug. "Everyt'ings gon' be okay now cherie." He assured her, his fingers coming up to run through her hair. "Remy not gon' let anyt'ing else happen to yo'. You're safe wit' Remy chere."

"Ah don't get whah they came anyway." Rogue murmured sadly against his shoulder, her hair shielding it from her bare cheek even though it was no longer a danger at that moment. "The government know abaht us. They know abaht the jet, they know we're just school students. Whah did they feel the need to come arrest all of us?"
"Yo' right. Don' make sense." Remy agreed.
"And whah did it have to happen when the Professor and most of the other teachers are still awah at that conferance in Washington? Was it planned that way? Is there even a conferance at all? Was it all just a trap?" Rogue asked rehtorically, her voice getting louder with each question.

"Hey, hey, calm down kay?" Remy soothed gently.
"Ah'm sahrry." Rogue whispered meekly, her tone tearful. "Ah don't mean to get angry. Ah just wish Ah knew..."
"Remy know. It's okay." He said calmy, his bare fingers softly brushing against her cheek; their first skin on skin contact ever. This action wasn't lost on Rogue and she pulled away slightly to look at Remy face.

Remy's fingers stopped their slow movement and his hands came to rest at Rogue's side and cupping Rogue's cheek. Rogue couldn't speak or move, though she really had no intention of moving anyway, as Remy slowly drew closer to her. This was it; her first real kiss with Remy. However, just when the contact would've been made at any second, sudden bolts of fear and apprehension shot through her body and then knotted themselves in her stomach.