Chapter 24

Chapter 24:

Everything began happening at once. The room was suddenly full of soldiers and filling up more with extra ones who seemed to be continuously charging in through the broken door. Jubilee screamed at the top of her lungs while Kitty flung her arms around her and they sunk into the ground together.

Remy threw several charged cards at the soldiers before pulling the stiff, shocked Rogue into the kichen. Once in there, they didn't stop for a second. Remy grabbed a chair and shoved it against the door, effectively baracading it before he led Rogue to the kitchen window above the sink and lifted her up onto the counter beside the sink when he realised she wasn't going to do it herself.

"Climb out dhe window." He instructed, keeping his eyes locked on the kitchen door which was jerking inwards every so often.
"Wasn't Joe in here?" Rogue asked quietly, finally managing to break free of her shocked stupor, as she started to slide out of the window where a fire-escape was waiting for her.

"Joe climbed down dhe window to go do us a favour." Remy answered, following her out of the window just as the kitchen door gave way to the soldiers in the sitting room. Now Rogue was fully out of her state of shock, she grabbed Remy's arm tightly and then teleported them both down to the alleyway below.

Rogue adjusted her grip only slightly so that she could hold Remy's hand before they took off in a sprint. As they went to run around the back of the building, Rogue collided with someone who was running towards them. Screams filled the air for a second before Rogue realised she had bumped into Kitty and Jubilee. Both girls now realised it was just Rogue and Remy standing in front of them. No words were spoken and the four mutants took off in a run again.

When they reached the open pavement, they all skidded to a quick halt as they came face to face with four soldiers. They turned around immediately and ran off in the opposite direction, Kitty protecting their exposed backs by channeling her ability through them all so bullets and tranquilisers went straight through them all. After getting a fair distance away from the soldiers behind, a second group of four soldiers suddenly came running out of an alleyway just ahead of them.

Before the four of them could stop, Rogue teleported them all as far away as she could manage. They popped back up in the grounds of a dark, silent factory.
"Hey, this is that place I was telling you guys about." Jubilee told them happily as she looked around herself.
"Wooptie doo." Kitty panted harshly, totally exhausted from all the running.
"We should...Be safe here...For...A wahle." Rogue gasped out as she leaned against Remy slightly for support.

"Don' t'ink so chere." Remy disagreed, his tone regretful and, annoyingly, not the least bit out of breath. "Joe foun' dhat dhose collars go' buil' in trackin' devices. As long as we're carryin' a workin' one aroun' wit' us, dhey'll always find us."
"Ah...Ah have to take it ahff..." Rogue said in a sad tone of realisation. Just then, the sound of trucks reached their ears and the white glow of headlights washed over them. All but Rogue turned and, with squinted eyes, saw several army trucks had already found them.
"Oh c'mon!" Jubilee yelled angrily, throwing her arms up before throwing them back down to her sides again. Kitty and Remy turned back to Rogue who was still staring ahead of herself with an unseeing gaze.

"Rogue?" Kitty said gently, stepping closer to her.
"Take it ahff." Rogue whispered simply. Kitty slowly reached forward and phased her hand through Rogue's neck. Then, in one swift movement, she pulled the collar away and dropped it to the floor, crackling from it's broken circuit just as she had with Jubilee's earlier. Rogue wordlessly took hold of Remy's arm and Remy held Kitty's wrist who in turn held Jubilee's. Seconds later, they were gone from the factory and instead were in the alleyway beside Joe's cafe.