Chapter 25

Chapter 25:

Rogue and the others spent the whole day out on the road. With the benefits of Joe's thoughtfulness, they hadn't needed to stock up on supplies or anything like that. The only pit stop they had taken was so that Jubilee could take over the driving from Remy who was almosy falling asleep at the wheel.

Granted she didn't actually have her license yet but considering the number of laws they had already broken, one more wasn't going to hurt. Now it was completely dark outside and the three girls sat at the front of the motorhome together, talking about things that they hadn't had a chance to yet discuss.

"I don't understand why you lied to us though." Jubilee sighed, making sure to keep her eyes on the road. "The teachers and Logan, yeah. Me and Kitty, no."
"Ah'm sahrry. Ah guess Ah just thahght things'd be simpler if no one knew. Ah know that ain't much of a reason..." Rogue said, trailing off at the end.
"Sounds fair to me." Kitty assured. "The more people who knew, the more chance of something slipping and Logan finding out and that wouldn't have been a good thing."
"Yeah." Rogue agreed through a sigh. A tense silence took over for a short while.
"I wonder how the others are doing." Jubilee said quietly all of a sudden.
"Personally, Ah'm trahin' not to think abaht it." Rogue murmured sadly.
"Do you think the Professor knows what happened?" Kitty wondered.
"Probably. Ah should think the police would wanna question him abaht me at least." Rogue replied.

"This whole thing is totally weird." Jubilee noted. "Those two on the security tape looked like you and Remy way too much to just be coincidence, but why would someone go to so much trouble to frame you guys? And how were the cops able to identify the two of you so quickly?"

Rogue remained silent and lost herself in thought as Kitty and Jubilee continued their discussion. Who would want to frame them? The words she'd heard from Destiny suddenly seemed to echo through her head: "...the attack of those who want revenge." Well...Who would want revenge on her? A lot of people. Who would want revenge on Remy? Again, a lot of people...But, to her great annoyance, no one person or group of people occured to her in particular. She gave a silent sigh and rubbed her eyes. She was too tired to try and solve crime mysteries right now.

Morning, and it was Rogue's turn to drive. Each of them were all rested and were in better spirits which was more than clear from the particularly stupid game they were playing.
"I'm going to the picnic and I'm bringing asbestos insulation, brine shrimp and...The cryogenically frozen head of Walt Disney." Kitty recited with a grin.
"Ah'm goin' to the picnic and Ah'm bringing asbestos insulation, brahne shrimp, the crahogenically fozen head of Walt Disney and...A drachm of a pickle." Rogue added as they turned a corner.
"What the Hell is a drachm?" Jubilee asked skeptically.
"One eighth of an ounce." Rogue answered.
"No way, you made that up!" Jubilee protested.
"No Ah didn't! It's in the dictionary, look it up!" Rogue insisted defensively.
"We haven't got one so I can't and so that means it doesn't count." Jubilee told her.
"What? That is so unfair!" Rogue yelled.

"We're runnin' low on gas." Remy suddenly noted from the passanger seat beside Rogue.
"Great." Rogue grunted sarcastically.
"Hey look!" Jubilee exclaimed suddenly, pointing at a billboard they were coming up to advertising The Biggest Pit-Stop in the World.
"That is the lamest name for a store I think I've ever heard." Kitty commented as they passed it
"The name isn't exactly important. I bet they'd have gas there though." Jubilee said.
"We are not stopping to shop Jubilee." Rogue told her seriously.
"Who said anything about shopping? I was merely pointing out the possibility that they might have gas pumps there." Jubilee explained. She noticed Kitty looking at her with a raised eyebrow. "What?"
"You don't seriously expect us to believe that do you?" Kitty asked. "Especially with the huge list of clothes stores they had on the billboard."