Chapter 1

Going back home felt bizarre for Spencer. It had been 4 years since she had moved away from the La Push Reservation on a scholarship to a prep boarding school in Seattle. Although students were expected to go back home during summer break, she spent her time in summer taking college classes or attending internships in the area, so going back didn't fit into her plans.

But she had just graduated from high school and decided that taking a gap year could not hurt. Seeing her family wouldn't be that bad either.

Spencer Uley had not reunited physically with Sam and Allison Uley since she left for school, only calling occasionally but always being too busy for anything else. The mother and son duo had grown accustomed to the short phone calls and vague emails they would receive from their studious family member. The Uley siblings used to be a very close pair, being only a year apart helped their bond. But since Spencer had invested all her energy into her high school career, their relationship rapidly dissipated; replaced by untold secrets and life-changing details.

The Uley girl had no idea what was in store when she went back home. She had left when she was 14 and was coming back an 18-year-old with a high school diploma and a bachelor's degree. Spencer had always been an overachiever and applying to the school she had and taking dual enrollment was no surprise to her mother and brother.

The bus ride from Seattle to La Push lasted almost eight hours, so Spencer equipped herself with two books, plenty of snacks, and a fully charged iPod to handle the ride. She had gotten the earliest ride available always enjoying the intriguing mystery that 3 am travels brought. Her brown eyes surveyed the curious characters that voyaged alongside her. a young woman sat with a sleeping baby in her arms, the dark circles under her eyes signaled the baby was still a newborn getting adapted to a sleep schedule; there was a middle-aged man, his eyes attached to a computer and a briefcase tight to his side; there were two teenagers, backpacks at their feet and shared headphones in between them. They were wearing a light blue polo shirt and her school insignia embroidered on the left side of their shirt. She had seen them in passing, two freshmen still energetic and excited for their school life. She looked at them and smiled, remembering being in their shoes four years ago.

Four hours in, Spencer had finished one book, and the bus made its first stop in Port Angeles, the place where everyone that traveled with her got off. It wasn't surprising to see from the top of her book as everyone got off, she didn't recognize any of them from the reservation so it would have been surprising if any of them had stayed on the bus. For the next four hours, Spencer continued to read her second book surrounded by a comforting silence. The sun had risen about an hour ago and a nice warmth was streaming from the bus window and Spencer felt herself drift in bliss.

Her eyes fluttered open once again when she felt the bus finally rolling to a stop. She blinked a few times as she adjusted her vision to the bright midday sun and her brain restarted normal functions. The brunette gathered the bag with her travel companions and got up from the chair she had been glued to for eight hours.

"Have a good day," the driver chimed as Spencer was walking down the bus.

"You too, drive safe!" The girl smiled and got her two suitcases out of the side of the bus.

Spencer got startled as she felt two arms wrap around her midriff and quickly swung her elbow back.

"Woah, woah, careful with those arms, Spence. It's just me," the girl turned around, a gleaming grin adorning her face.

"Sam!" She jumped onto the open arms of her older brother, seeing the years that had passed on his tired face.

"Look at you, darling. All grown up," Allison Uley smiled, tears threatening to spill from her eyes.