Chapter 5

Carlisle couldn't believe that Spencer had been the first one to take a step forward. He was still working when his phone had vibrated in his pocket. He only stopped to look at it once he was done with the page he was holding at the moment. When Spencer's name popped up on the screen, a smile painted on his face. It was a short conversation, but the blank page on his planner for Sunday now had an important activity at five-thirty. He felt nerves building up in the pit of his belly, anticipation building inside of him. A day and a half stood between him and seeing Spencer again.

The emotions he was experiencing treaded on thin water. No matter how much he wanted to be next to her, there would always be a treaty standing in the way. Unlike Edward and Bella, Spencer lived in LaPush and was under close watch by the alpha of the Quileute tribe. Although his son's relationship with the human from Forks was forbidden, it was a tad more manageable than whatever he was discovering with the sister of a shapeshifter.

He ran his hands through his golden hair and let out a sigh of defeat. There wasn't much left to do at the office, so he packed everything up and headed home. He was not ready for whatever interrogation was waiting for him back at the house. Carlisle had yet to go home that week, deciding to stay as close to Spencer as he possibly could. He would rest in his office, pretending to sleep as to not raise suspicion from his coworkers. No one questioned as to why the doctor had not gone home, it had been a busy week and he was the best doctor they had.

Carlisle put his car in park and stared at his front door— Alice would be behind the door, a million questions about Spencer would be asked, none to which he'd have the answer to. He grabbed his briefcase and braced himself. Before his hand could reach for the door handle, it opened.

"Hi, Carlisle!" Alice perked. Her face was lit up with a giant grin and her eyes held a playful stare. She didn't need Edward's mind-reading powers to know what he had been up to that week. "How was your week?"

"Tiring, Alice. I'd really just like some peace and quiet."

"Edward?"

"He'd rather be back in his office, reading with Spencer," Edward chuckled from behind a book. "No other advancements in the relationship. But they do have a date on Sunday."

"A date?! Oh, that's wonderful, Carlisle."

"It is, and Edward, you know I don't appreciate you reading my mind to divulge private information," he smiled. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to my office."

Thankfully, Alice had left him alone and he was able to decompress in his office. He had grown accustomed to the books he had collected over the years, but seeing Spencer fawn over them awakened his love for them once more. His golden eyes scoured through all the spines and a smile was painted on his face. He reminisced on the first time Spencer came into his office. She had been uncertain about going in, knowing the important work he was doing; she didn't want to become a distraction, she had said. The girl didn't know that even in absence, she was his biggest distraction.

"Come in." A knock on the door had captivated Carlisle's attention and broke his train of thought. "Oh, good evening, Esme."

"That girl really has a pull on you, huh?" She grinned. "I haven't seen you smile this big in a long time."

"She's truly something special."

"You shouldn't feel guilty for pursuing happiness, Carlisle." Esme smiled. Through the years she had come to know Carlisle in a deeper level, being able to read his silence and know his thoughts without having to read his mind. "It's been long enough."

"I just do not believe that I should delve into the risk of being with her for my own happiness. I must think of the family and how our relationship could affect your safety," he sighed. "It's selfish."