Chapter 18

"Paul," Spencer's voice broke him out of his trance. She had started to slip on one of Paul's many forgotten T-shirts, stretching her limbs after their latest encounter. "You're staring."

"Oh, sorry," he chuckled softly. "I didn't mean to."

"It's fine," she smiled. "I sometimes forget they're there."

It had been five months since she had been hurt, four months since they had left, three since she had decided to dig herself out of the hole she had fallen into and put her life back on track. And she couldn't look back –at least not without feeling her heart wrench inside her chest.

Spencer had made the decision to move forward in her life, to allow herself to release her past and unbind herself from the Cullens. She had allowed herself to be her first priority –even if meant that she had to release some people she thought the world of. But she had to push forward. Staying stuck in the mud was the last thing she wanted.

Instead, she had spent the past two months and a half investing her time between med school, her entanglement with Paul, the people at the rez, and her work at the hospital. And it had been just the shift Spencer had needed.

"I can't believe I was the one that did this," Paul whispered as he joined her side. His fingers traced the rough skin of her scars, an electric shiver running through his veins. A few months before, the three ragged lines that ran down her arm had not been there. And in a split second, he'd changed her for life. "I'm so sorry, Spence. I wish I could take that night back."

"I don't blame you, Paul," she breathed. Shudders ran through her body as he kissed her shoulder, his warmth still something she had yet gotten used to. "I should have listened to my brother and step away."

"But if I had been able to control myself I wouldn't have scratched you," he said, his hand running up and down her arm. "I should have been able to protect you. Protect you from myself."

"It was no one's fault, Paul," she sighed at his touch, a teasing smile spreading across her face after. "And I've heard scars make people hot."

"You were already hot," he grinned. "Scars just added to it."

"Okay, cool it, Casanova," she chuckled. "I can't go for a round three. I've got studying to do."

"You and I both know that studying for you is a formality," he groaned. "You've been axing all your tests. You already passed Step 1, and in a couple of weeks you'll be in your clinical rotations."

"I still need to study, Paul. I've gotta make sure all the information is fresh in my brain," she explained. "And, still, it's almost time for your patrol shift. So, you don't have time for anything else either."

"The bloodsuckers are gone," he said before kissing her neck. "What is there to patrol?"

"Probably the people of this reservation," she breathed, trying her hardest to suppress the moan that wanted to escape. But it was as futile as denying him. "But, maybe we can go for one more round."

Paul could simply laugh in response and take her lips on his. His hands snaked to the small of her back, pulling her body until his legs reached her bed. Spencer grinned at him as he buckled against the mattress and used his surprise to push him onto the bed. He forcefully sat down, spreading his legs to allow Spencer a space between them. But she seemed to have another idea.

The Uley girl closed his legs together before placing her knees at either side of his thighs, straddling his lap. She placed her hands on his cheeks before kissing him again, telling him she was just as hungry for him as he was for her. Spencer would have never admitted it out loud, but Paul knew his way around a woman's body —not that she had mi b to compare it to. Still, she would never say it to him, afraid that he would think it would lead to something else.