Chapter 2

The next day she awoke at half-past ten. She looked at her bedside clock flustered, knowing she had wasted almost all morning. She could smell breakfast already prepared and her mother downstairs doing some light cleaning.

She hurried into the bathroom and took a small time to finish her morning routine, flying down the stairs. Allison laughed as she noticed her daughter stumbling with hurry down the stairs, clearly heading to the door.

"Eat some breakfast before you go, darling!" Allison shouted as she swept the floor of the dining room.

"I'll just get some on the way," Spencer said as she put her jacket on, seeing in the distance dark clouds adorning the sky.

"I made you a sandwich so you can take it with you and a travel mug filled with coffee."

"Thanks, mom. You're the best," Spencer kissed her mother's cheek and grabbed the food from her hands.

"And be careful on the streets, the tires haven't been changed on the truck and the roads are supposed to be very slippery today," Allison called out to the girl who was almost completely out of the door.

Spencer barely heard her mother's warning as she jogged up to the truck parked on the driveway. There was a sandwich hanging from her mouth as she backed up and sped to the main road. It was quite a long ride to Port Angeles, and she wanted to be back before dark. She spent the ninety-minute drive listening to background music and noticing how the sky changed from blue to dark grey to a lighter grey as she passed and left Forks. She rarely visited the neighboring town, listening to the stories by the elders gave her enough reason not to. Unlike most of her friends and even her own brother, she believed the string of words that they sewed. There were so many things that were unexplained in the universe that it would be ignorant of her to not believe that the supernatural could exist. Although, the past four years she had started to disregard the tales as made up stories, not being able to prove that they were veracious.

Once she arrived, she parked in front of an antique store and started perusing through the various stores in the strip mall. Before she knew it, five hours had passed. Her feet were sore from walking back and forth, her arms were read from all the bags she had carried, and her head was hurting from a lack of food. It was already five in the afternoon and Spencer was ready to go home. She got back into the truck and started her drive back home. An hour into the drive the sky darkened more than it should've, and heavy rain cascaded from the clouds. Her vision was impaired from the thick droplets and her heart was beating hard, scared of what could jump out in the darkness.

Spencer's worries were confirmed when a deer jumped onto the street and had her swerve the truck. The car spun for some seconds and slid off the road, crashing into a tree. The girl's head flew forward on impact and connected with the steering wheel in front of her. Her vision blurred and her headache grew exponentially. She could hear her name being called from far away but couldn't distinguish whose it was. As it came closer, she could finally make out the frame of the sheriff, Charlie Swan. He was speaking to her, but no words registered in her head.

Charlie moved closer to the truck and tried to open the door, but it wouldn't budge. The sheriff reached into the open window and carefully tried to retrieve the wounded girl. She wasn't in the right mind and in this rain an ambulance would take too long to get here. He laid Spencer's head on his shoulder as she mumbled incoherent words, then reaching his arms under hers to pull her softly. He was careful not to scrape her body too much against the broken window, laying down his jacket first to cover most of it. Charlie tried his best to see amid the harsh rain, praying to whatever being was controlling the weather to stop. The blood that was gushing from Spencer's forehead had washed off as soon as her head had exited the car but it didn't stop flowing. After what felt like hours, the sheriff had the teenage girl in his arms and carried her to his cruiser. Turning his emergency lights on he sped as carefully as possible to the hospital.

He felt the ride eternal as he heard the hurt girl in the back of the car moaning in pain and noticing the shirt he'd wrapped around her forehead was soaking up too much blood. As he neared the bright lights of the hospital, he slowed the speed down as to not slam on his brakes and cause more damage to Spencer. He carefully grabbed her limp body and entered the hospital. It seemed like the emergency room had a slow night, but he only brought trouble.

"I need some help here!" Charlie called out, worry laced in his voice.

"Sheriff Swan, what happened?" A nurse asked as she accompanied the team wheeling a gurney for the unconscious being in the officer's arms.

"This is Spencer Uley. She hit her head in a car accident, I assume her car swerved as she avoided an animal in the street. She's been unconscious since I got her in my car. When I found her she was barely coherent."

"Okay, why don't you wait for us in the waiting room. We'll let you know as soon as we have some news." The nurse smiled.

All Charlie could do was nod and sit down for a second, later pulling out his phone to dial Allison Uley's number.

"Sheriff, to what do I owe this pleasure," Allison chimed.

"It's not good news, Allison. Spence has been in a car accident." Charlie could feel the panicked energy coming from the other side of the phone. Close to this time last year he had gotten news that his own daughter was hurt through a phone call. "Now, Allison, I know you want to speed off to the hospital but I would advise you not to. The roads are really bad over here and we can't have you both admitted."

"But I can't leave her alone," she sobbed. "I need to be there for my baby."

"I know, but she won't be alone. I'm gonna stay here until she's good to go and I'll take her back to your house. Now don't you worry, you know she's a strong one."

"I know," Allison sighed an air of defeat. "Alright, just please keep me updated on everything. Doesn't matter how late."

"Will do. I'll have my buddy pick up the truck and leave it at Billy's."

"Thank you, Charlie, so much."

"No problem, Allison. Try to get some shuteye, it looks to be a long night."

And a long night it was.

Thankfully, Spencer's injuries were minor and she would be able to leave as soon as she woke up. Charlie spent all night in the hospital, calling a friend to drive Spencer's truck so that Jacob could see if it was worthy of repair and leaving a message for his daughter that he would not be coming home that night. The nurses were nice enough to bring the officer a blanket and some coffee as it seemed he wasn't going to leave and come back the next morning, keeping his promise to Allison that he'd stay beside her daughter.

Once a room was given to Spencer, Charlie managed to catch up on a little bit of sleep on the armchair next to her bed. The girl slept even through the morning light that slipped through the window that woke the sheriff up. He updated Allison on the persistent status of her daughter. Once again, the nurses showing kindness by bringing him a cup of coffee as he waited for Spencer's eyes to open.

Spencer was engulfed in darkness for what felt like a second. She tried fluttering her eyes open but was met with a painfully bright light and a pulsating headache that rang through her body. Her eyes closed once again to try to minimize the discomfort, to much avail. She barely remembered what event befell her to end up in this situation, but she could hear she was not alone.

"Are the lights bothering you, Spencer?" Sheriff Swan spoke, noticing the girl had awoken. She promptly nodded and he stood up to turn off the lights as the room door opened. "All right, they're off now. Hello, doctor."

She tried opening her eyes again and was met with the most radiant eye color she had ever seen.

Golden.