[18.] THE SILVER CAR

Vanessa's POV:

Hearing about Veronica's death didn't really settle very well with me. Of course it was awful news to hear, I'm not crazy but I was never really close with her. I mean, she was my attorney but other than that I only knew her as my friends ex-girlfriend. Her death made my think about Sara.  Was Sara being watched just like Veronica was? Could she be in any danger? Was I putting her into even more danger? Will she end up dead?

I was standing next to Linc when C-Note came stomping over, with Sucre following after him. "What's the plan, man?" He frowned, standing in front of us with his arms crossed.

"No bars on these doors. Do what you like," Linc replied. Sucre fidgeted next to me.

"With what?" He asked, staring at me obliviously. I shrugged my  shoulders. 

C-Note groaned, "We're supposed to be in Mexico right now, sipping on margarita's, waiting for the heat to dip. That was the plan..." He turns to Sucre, "...you see, they just used us to dig, man. We're gophers."

"Look, like Linc said, you're free to do whatever you want. You're out of there... what more do you want?" I asked him. 

"Just some damn answers for once!" C-Note snapped. He was starting to get defensive and on everybody's nerves including my own. I ignored him and looked at Sucre who was looking around the room as if he had lost something. "Where's Michael?"

"He'll be here," Linc grumbled.

"Okay, you know what, Sucre?" C-Note started, "Maybe you and I should go and get that five-million dollars, you know what I'm saying? I mean it's just sitting there in Toole, Utah, ready to get some air." Lincoln had obviously had enough of C-Notes crap and turned to him, grabbing a fist-full of his shirt. 

"You wanna stay here, then shut your mouth!" He shouted, backing C-note up. C-Note quickly got defensive and began shouting back at him. "You got one more time to touch me, man, or I swear-"

"Do you guys even know how to keep a low profile? Calm the hell down. You guys out here acting like a bunch of kids," I butted in as Sucre got between them, trying to break them apart but they kept on pushing each other.

"Hey!" Someone shouted from the doorway. We all turned our heads to see Michael standing there with a picnic basket in his arms. "Relax!" 

Linc quickly let go of C-Note, pushing off of him and walking away. I turned to Sucre, he rolled his eyes at what had happened before walking towards Michael. I followed after them with Abruzzi and C-Note behind me.

Michael opened the picnic basket before taking a box of fried chicken out of it. My eyes fawned over the box of greasy poultry. I never even realized how hungry I was. I looked around to see that everybody else had the same reaction as my own. 

As Michael put the box on the ground we began reaching over it, grabbing pieces of chicken and stuffing them into our mouths. Biting into the crispy chicken felt so weird. I hadn't had a decent meal like this in the past few months. At the prison I was only ever fed flavorless food, like watery soup, bread and a questionable looking meatloaf. But the chicken made my mouth water and made me want more.

I was so blinded by the food in front of me that I didn't even notice that the boys were drinking beers until Sucre handed me one. I took it from him with a smile on my face, taking a sip from it. As I was drinking my beer, I looked around the room. I spotted Michael and Lincoln on the other side of the room having a quiet conversation. 

I reached across and grabbed a napkin from the picnic basket, wiping the grease off of my mouth and hands before I made my way towards Michael and Linc. As I approached them their conversation quickly ended. Lincoln was hunched over on the ground reading the newspaper and Michael was staring out of the window. I sat down on the ground next to Linc, handing him my half empty beer bottle in trade for his newspaper. He quickly took the bottle from my hand and handed over the paper. On the front cover of the newspaper showed all of our faces. Our large mugshots and names printed out in the middle of the page.