[16.] "...SEE YA ON THE OTHER SIDE"

The new and the improved Vanessa:

Lauren Cohan as Vanessa Tancredi

Vanessa's POV:
The deafening, sound of sirens rang through my ears. 

Dogs barking and panting breaths, including my own, where also heard. 

We stopped at a ditch just right outside the prison. We sat hunched over, making ourselves look small as we saw vans and police cars pull up at the scene. I was clutching onto my bag for dear life, praying that I wouldn't lose it. I decided it would be best to wear it on the inside of my jumpsuit so I wouldn't drop it. The atmosphere was nothing but tense. Dogs, ammo and weapons were being taken out of all vehicles and being distributed to each officer. I crouched next to Mike and Linc with Sucre and Tweener leaning over my shoulder. Everybody wanted to have a sneak peak at what was going on whilst staying hidden at the same time. It was only moments later before we saw Pope walk out of the gate, carrying what seemed to be a megaphone. 

Pope looked angry, frustrated and agitated. He stood there for a moment with his hand on his head, wiping away the nervous sweat on his face. I felt bad for him. He was genuinely a nice guy who was just trying to do his job. He looked around at the officers that stood in front of him, clearing his throat to grab their attention as he raised the megaphone to his mouth before angrily shouting into it. "When those convicts went over the wall they made a choice. That choice made them a threat to society once again..... now, as many of you know, some of them are convicted killers, our job is to protect and to ensure the safety of the general population.... and that means, if we have to bring them down to ensure that safety... by God, we will do it! This time we're playing for keeps, gentlemen." he paused for a moment, gathering his thought and taking a deep breath before talking again.

"Now it's been at least twelve minutes since they went over that wall. That's one mile on foot at best. If they've got their hands on a vehicle, they could be ten miles from here. SO LET'S GET MOVING!!!!" The officers began scurrying to their cars and vans and some walked to each other to discuss what route they were going to be taking whilst we hid in the ditch. Right under their noses. The sound of police radios were heard in the distance but I couldn't hear them when C-Note spoke up. "Yo, come on, man, we got to roll."

Michael turned to him, " We don't got to do anything but wait right here, and let them get ahead of us." I looked towards the prison to see Pope still standing there, shouting and giving out orders to Bellick and other police officers. My view was blocked when two police officers with dogs in hand stepped in front, heading in our direction. My heart panicked when I grabbed Michael's arm, "Dogs... they're coming right towards us".

"Nobody move," Michael whispered, "They can't smell us". All of a sudden the dogs began barking. Sucre grabbed a hold of my arm, pulling me away from the ditch, "But they can see us, run mami, run!" 

I ran out of the ditch and down the field. C- Note and Linc managed to run ahead of me. Sucre, Abruzzi, Michael and T-Bag were still catching up alongside me. I could hear the faint sound of police officers shouting and dogs barking in the distance but the sounds of our loud footsteps and heavy breathing drowned it out slightly. At the exit of the field we were met by a woodland area. We ran through it, dodging the few high and low branches as well as jumping over the scattered tree roots that were littered across the ground.