[7.] SECRETS

Flashback

I took LJ out to the bar with me one afternoon. I was babysitting him. Although he was fifteen years old his mother still did not trust to leave him home alone so I offered to let him stay in my apartment for the night as Robert was out.

"So any ladies?" I asked him. He looked at me as if I asked him if he still believes in the easter bunny.

"Nope," he said, popping the 'p'. I laughed before taking another beer off the bar tender.

"What? I would have thought you would have had girls throwing themselves at you," I chuckled.

He grinned before saying," yeah I know, it sucks."

"Well, I've heard women were all over your father when he was in high school."

"Obviously I got the wrong genes then," he laughed. I smiled before asking LJ if he wanted another soda. He replied with a no.

"We better get going, its almost eleven thirty."

We walked out of the bar and got a taxi back to my place. When we entered I saw Robert sitting on the couch. I frowned before telling LJ to go into my bedroom.

When LJ closed the door of the bedroom I stood in front of Robert. I looked at him, he looked totally wasted.

"I thought you were going out?" I asked. He grunted and ignored my question.

"What's that Burrows kid here for?" He grunted.

"That Burrows kid has a name and I told you already he's staying here tonight while his Mom is going out with her husband," I sighed.

"Yeah well he better not f**king touch any of my stuff," he said snapped as he stood up to get to the bedroom.

"No! You're not going in there and you're not going to touch him. He's not touch any of your stuff." I shouted.

"Are you shouting at me? What have I told you about shouting at me?" He roared.

"Do you know what I don't give a damn what you say, just get your things and stay somewhere else tonight!" I bellowed.

I could see his head turning red with rage. His knuckles were turning white. He grabbed my wrists with both hands and grasped then tightly. I whimpered and tried to pull away. He let go but left me with red marks around my wrists.

"That's what I thought," he grunted before grabbing his coat and making an exit for the door.

Cries came out of my throat as I rushed to the sink and twisted the cold water tap. I ran my wrists under them. My skin burned and begged for help, I walked awards the freezer and took some ice out to clear the swelling.

When I closed the freezer I saw LJ there with red eyes. I stood there shocked for a moment. The room stood silent.

"Are- are you okay?" He asked.

"I'm fine," I smiled wiping away a tear from my face.

"I heard it..... All of it," His lip quivered. I quickly grabbed him and pulled him into a hug.

"I'm so, so sorry, it's fine though this sometimes happens and I can handle it."

"It didn't sound fine, he scares me Vanessa! I don't think you should be around him anymore,"

"It's all fine it'll be over in the morning," I sighed resting my chin on his head.

"Did he hurt you badly?" He asked. I looked at my wrists that were behind him and sighed.

"There... There okay, do you know what? I have the perfect thing to get this off your mind. But do you promise not to tell anyone?"

"I promise," he sighed.

I smiled at him and lead him to my bedroom. I walked towards my bed and turned around. LJ leaned against the door frame.

"Well are you gonna help me or not?" I smiled. He walked towards me as we pushed the bed over.

I sat on the floor and he crouched down beside me. I told him to sit before staring at him for a second.

"I'm sorry LJ, I wanted to make sure you weren't lonely, between your father in prison and your mom told me your grades are getting bad.... So that's why I brought you out last night," I sighed rubbing my eyes.

"Don't worry about.... So what did you want to show me?" He asked.

"You promise you won't tell anyone?"

"I promise!"

"You swear on it?" I asked. He smiled before crossing his heart.

"Alright," I smiled before lifting up the floor board. I looked up at LJ to see curiosity plaster across his face. His brows knitted together before he reached into the hole in the floor.

"Whats this for?" He asked pulling out a keychain with six keys on it.

"They're spare keys, two of them is for my sister, one was for your dad's apartment, my classroom, the school and my dad's office." I told him. He nodded before reaching in and taking out a book.

"My diary," I smirked. He smiled before opening the first page. I quickly shut it and took it out of his hands and placed it on the ground beside me with a grin on my face.

"Woah!" His voice changed. He took an allotment of cash. "How much is this?" He asked.

"I don't know yet, my dad gave me it along with a fake passport that's in here somewhere..." I sighed before reaching my hand into the gap in the floor.

I pulled out a passport and flyers. I placed the flyers on the floor and opened the passport.

"Catherine Roth.... From Alabama" I nodded my head.

"Why would your dad give you a fake passport?" LJ asked.

"He told me it was for emergencies." I frowned. I looked into the cave in the floor to see it was empty.

"That's it LJ, we better put everything back in it before we forget," I sighed before placing everything back inside of it. I closed it over withe the piece of floorboard.

"Remember, don't tell anyone," I said to him.

"I know," he nodded his head.

** end of flashback **