10

"I say to myself over and over again..."

▏▬▬▬▬▬▬▕

Hyungwon quietly followed Wonho to their - now - shared bedroom and the instant the two entered, the ex-hitman realized why the elder had seemed hesitant on sharing it. A single double bed. And after observing the room a little bit more, Hyungwon realized another thing; this was the bedroom the man had shared with his wife. He could tell that by the few framed photos on the walls.

"If you're really uncomfortable sharing a room, I seriously can just sleep in the living room..." Hyungwon said after his realization. Wonho turned to the younger who was standing at the door. "It's fine," Wonho said and set his bag down.

Hyungwon sighed. "It's not fine if you're not comfortable with it." He argued and crossed his arms. "Hyungwon, really. I don't mind." the older stated calmly. Hyungwon gave in and just nodded. "Fine.." he mumbled.

Maybe he was the one who was a bit iffy about this. Hyungwon set his own bags down on the floor next to the bed. "The house is nice..." The younger said, relieving the room of the slightly awkward silence. Wonho hummed quietly as a response. "It is." The man then said before he started to unpack his clothes into the closet.

Hyungwon sat down on a chair that had been tucked under a desk. It was dusty, no surprise. How long had it been since they had been there? The hitman leaned against the backrest eyeing the photos on the wall. One was from, what Hyungwon assumed to be their wedding day and another few were from dates or other events. 

"She's pretty." Hyungwon quietly said. Wonho glanced at the younger and then at the framed pictures. A soft smile spread onto the man's lips as he nodded. "I know... She is the prettiest." Hyungwon spun the chair to face the older man who wasn't looking at the photos. He probably remembered every detail on them by heart.

There was a difference between them when it came to talking about their dead spouses. Wonho sounded sad yet happy thinking back on the time spent with the woman meanwhile Hyungwon was just sad even when he was reminiscing about happy memories. Maybe it was the fact that he never got to say a proper goodbye.

"How'd you meet her?" the younger asked. Wonho sat down on the bed and hummed, clearly thinking about it a little. Hyungwon then bit his tongue. What if the man wasn't comfortable talking about it?

"High school," the other soon responded, making Hyungwon relax a little after having worried over the question. "It's honestly so cliche but I was a trouble maker while she was a teacher's pet with a rich dad... We had something going on by senior year." Wonho explained, chuckling softly. "Though we parted ways after graduating but met one day downtown. I was already deep into my father's business and she was studying to become a doctor."

Hyungwon listened to the older talk. He had a glimmer in his eyes while talking about the woman and Hyungwon found it... Cute... In a way. Of course, he wouldn't say the somewhat affectionate words out loud. 

Wonho straightened out his legs. "Our occupations clashed, obviously, but that spark from high school was still there. She told me that maybe being a law-abiding citizen wasn't for her." The older looked down at his lap, a gentle reminiscing smile on his pink lips.

Hyungwon listened to the man in silence, eyeing him. It clearly hurt him, knowing that those happy times would never come back but Wonho seemed to choose the path of dealing with that hurt instead of letting it bottle up inside. "When her father got a hit placed on him, she came to us, because I may or may not have blabbered about all this, to ask for protection. Now, we were never ones to protect people and stuff, but since the old man was an honest businessman my father agreed."