Chapter 2

Luke's P.O.V

...

"See, what I never have understood is how none of us get into trouble," Ashton said as he slipped a spoon into his mouth and sucked the ice cream off while sitting on my bunk bed.

"It's because no one actually monitors us, mate," Michael, one of the guys I had met while here, said.

It's been one week and I've already made three friends.

Calum Hood, Michael Clifford, and Ashton Irwin. Apparently, each one of them has one family member that works here.

I have no one.

"Doesn't your dad worry, at least? I mean, what if someone got seriously hurt out here? What would he do?"

Calum shrugged.

"My dad doesn't just not care. He cares about everyone here and their safety. If one of us got hurt, if it was critical enough, he'd call an ambulance. If he knows it's not that bad, he'd call Nurse Clifford. That's what Nurse Clifford is here for. My dad takes care of everything and everyone around him."

I nodded and dipped my spoon into the tub, scooping up the icy frost and slipped the spoon into my mouth. I swallowed.

"You eat ice cream weird, Ashton," I spoke out of the random.

"So do you," he smirked.

"Nuh uh," I whined like a child. He rolled his eyes and flicked my forehead. I tackled him which resulted in the ice cream spilling onto the floor and the clutters of the spoons the only sound besides us yelling.

"Awe, guys, that was the last tub!" Michael whined.

"Sex, sex, sex," the boys cheered.

"Oh, shut up, you loads," Ashton mumbled and pushed me off of him.

"How much do you weigh, mate?" Ashton winced and rubbed at his ribs.

"I-" I couldn't talk anymore.

I was always self conscious about my weight and my stomach and, well, everything. Mostly my weight.

Realization hit Ashton.

"Oh, Luke, I was kidding, I didnt-"

"It's fine," I spoke up and cracked a smile.

I'm used to it.

...

I sat in the corner of my bunk, the guys all down at the lake. I was looking down at my fingers picking at the hem of my shirt.

I refused to look at my stomach.

Had I put on some weight? Does it look like I have?

I didn't want to make the effort and get up to look because I knew the results would be disappointing either way.

I sighed. I haven't felt this way in such a long time.

Sad and really self conscious about my weight.

I closed my eyes tight.

"Hey, Luke!" the boys came running in, wet.

"Come join the party! It's fun!" Michael yelled and grabbed at my hand. I pulled away slowly and wiped my hand against my jeans.

"Nah, I'm just gonna go to bed early, guys. Not feeling all too well," I said softly.

I didn't dare look up.

"Oh, well, okay. Hope you feel better." They were gone.

All except Ashton.

He sat down criss cross in front of me.

"If you're thinking about when I asked how much you weigh, you should stop. I was joking. I know that doesn't make it any better, but I didn't mean it, Luke. And I didn't know you didn't like people talking and making jokes about that kind of stuff."

"It's fine, Ashton. I'm going to bed."

"Well, can we have a sleep over?"

"Once you get out of wet clothes and into dry ones," I chuckled.

"Yes!" he cheered and ran to his cabin to change.

Wow, he's cute.

...

"Take pictures!"

"Shut up, you fuck. And I can't. My phone doesn't work, you dumbass."

I threw a pillow in the direction of the voices.

"Shut up!" I whined.

"Yea, shut the fuck up," Ashton copied with a little more anger and whine.

I cuddled up more to Ashton.

What? I'm cold.

He wrapped his arms around my waist.

"Gaylord's!" Michael and Calum cheered and ran off.

Finally, peace.