Chapter 9

Luke's P.O.V

...

"Hi," I whispered into the receiver.

I closed my eyes and inhaled deeply.

"I love you, Ashton. I loved the two months we shared that were full of love. Passionate, laughable, romantic, sad love. I would love to spend the rest of my life with you, but I'm dying.

"I'm dying because we haven't talked in three months. Three months. I don't know what the hell I did. I wish I knew, but I don't. I'm sorry. And I hope you're okay. And I want you to know that this is the last time you'll hear my voice because I've given up. I've given up trying to talk to you because you obviously don't need to talk to me. I'm sorry." I squeezed my eyes shut tight and pulled the phone away, shaking the pill bottle so he could hear it if he ever listens to this.

"That's how I'm going," I whimpered out as I brought the phone back to my ear.

"I love you." Then I pressed End Call.

The bottle shook in my hand and you could hear the killers rattling inside the round case softly.

I grabbed a piece of paper and wrote down:

Dear Mom,

Thank you for forcing me to go to the camp. You changed my life for the better and the worst.

                                          Love, Luke

I grabbed another.

Dear Michael,

You are one of the bestest friends I've ever had that's treated me well. Thank you.

                                        Love, Luke

Another.

Dear Calum,

Thanks for telling me off and eating greasy chips because I wouldn't have realized how much I loved Ashton the day I stormed off. Thank you for being there for me.

                                          Love, Luke

And another.

Dear Ben,

I stopped. I stared at the papers in front of me then at the bottle in my hand. I've just realized how many people I have in my life and how many I would be leaving behind to mourn my death.

"What am I doing?" I whispered into the silent air.

...

Another month has passed by and still no word from Ashton. I've finally given up.

I have to move on.

"You still didn't go see him," Michael spoke.

I nodded.

"He's probably not there anyways," I mumbled and fumbled with my hair. Calum grabbed his keys and pulled me up from my seat.

"Come on, Michael. We're going to find Ashton."