9 Resume

Carrie

I woke up the next morning with a blanket thrown over me on Anna's couch. I had a light headache, which was testament to just how much I had drank since werewolves almost never got hangovers.

The living room was a mess, and what I could see of the kitchen was no better. Forcing myself to get up, I started collecting bottles and glasses and carrying them to the kitchen. I couldn't very well leave this mess for Anna to clean up before her mate and kids would be back in the afternoon.

Samantha appeared in the hall. "Oh, you're up. Don't worry about the mess."

I shook my head. "I've got nothing else to do."

She looked uncertain.

I frowned. "I can't be acting luna when he's got his real luna now." Maybe it was irresponsible of me to abruptly quit doing all the things I did for the pack, but I was pretty sure I would simply spend the entire time I was there crying and not getting anything done either way. Those duties were a part of our relationship and pretending they were still mine would be little more than rubbing salt into my wounds.

Her expression wasn't necessarily agreement, but she didn't argue further. "It's going to be a rocky transition, I'm guessing."

Although she had not meant it that way, I instantly felt bad. Who would ensure that everything stayed on track until the new luna figured out what she was doing? Whatever, it was not my problem anymore. I was sorry if the school ran out of paper or the kitchen out of ketchup, but they'd have to cope, and it wasn't like the gamma was too incompetent to deal with urgent problems.

Samantha and I didn't talk other than about what we were doing, until Anna finally came out of her room, rubbing her eyes. "Oh, you two didn't have to do this."

"We've already had that conversation," Samantha reassured her in a forced bright tone.

I just kept cleaning.

When we were done, I thanked them for everything and left before I wore out my welcome.

I didn't know where to go next. I didn't want to return to the pack house, and I didn't want to be around anyone. I ended up heading into the forest and wandering around in my wolf form, blocking everyone out of the link and letting my wolf have her head. I did my best to avoid my pack and any places that brought up memories of my time with Dane.

Night fell, and I considered returning to the pack house, but instead I found a comfortable corner of the forest and curled up into a furry ball. It was an improvement over pitying eyes and my lonely bed.

The next morning, I could feel my mother pushing at my mind and I ignored her. My father started it, too, and after ignoring him multiple times, I gave up and let him in.

"Carrie? Your mother and I are worried."

I growled. "I'm fine. You both were right, and I don't want to talk about it." I shut him out again.

Although it had not been my intention, I spent the next couple of days wandering around in the forest, drinking from the river and hunting to stave off hunger.

I did plan to go back to the pack house, but I just didn't want to. It was easier to hide in the forest and let my wolf take care of me.

I continued to wander, but I never did get the chance to decide to go back when I was ready, because eventually Dane used his alpha strength to push through my defenses.

"Carrie?" he asked, sounding tentative considering the way he had invaded my mind when I clearly hadn't wanted to talk to him.

"You know it's me."