23 Protective

Jason

Everything was going really well.

Carrie took to the luna position better than I could have hoped. She had a determined way of approaching a task, whether it was trying to convince me to eat healthier, cut back on pack expenses, or making my home as uncomfortable as possible out of pure spite, like back when I had first stupidly confined her there. As frustrating as the situation had been at the time, I smiled at that memory now that we were past the worst of our troubles.

I hadn't been looking for my mate, so she had caught me completely off guard when she had turned up. My first sight of her had stopped my breathing, and my brain along with it. Smooth skin, untamed black curls, and brown eyes that were full of challenge and determination.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I had always known that she was out there somewhere, but I was in no rush to find her since my pack was so new and undeveloped and not nearly as well protected as I wanted it to be. My deepest unspoken fear was that I would fail this pack the same way that I had failed my former pack, Glenhaven, and seeing my mate, standing there in a spot little better than unclaimed wilderness, sent fear shooting through me like I had never experienced before. I spoke without thinking, and she tried to leave.

My wolf wouldn't have it. She might not have been safe enough with us, but she sure as hell wasn't safe enough out there, either, and he wasn't letting her go. She didn't respond well to that sort of heavy handedness, and the longer I held her the more furious she grew. Finally I let her go against all my instincts and experienced one of the most miserable weeks of my life.

When Max found her and where she lived, relief consumed me. I jumped in my truck and went straight there, without any plan or strategy.

Best decision my instincts ever pushed me to. She complemented me, she challenged me, and nothing I had ever experienced before her could compare to the feeling of emptying myself inside her while she moaned under me, or on top of me, or against the wall, or on my desk, or...

I wasn't fussy about the position or location.

Carrie had only two shifts left at her job before she was finished, and I was beyond pleased that she wouldn't have to be away from the safety of the pack as much after that. It drove my wolf crazy when she was out of reach.

Max had already informed me that once he was done guarding her off territory he wanted to go searching for his mate again. I agreed, of course. Even before I had found Carrie, I had been sympathetic, but now I was beginning to have an idea of how much he missed Lillian. What would I do if I knew Carrie were out there somewhere, but I couldn't locate her?

There was one thing besides the lack of perfect security that agitated me and kept me and my wolf from blissful contentment. Something was bothering my mate, something about her past. I didn't know what it was, but whenever we brushed close to the subject she would tense up. I wanted to know, and only partially because my wolf wanted to rush off to rip the throats out of anyone who would dare make her sad. He had been furious at me for initially giving her the impression that I wouldn't want her, but the past couldn't be changed even though we were moving past it.

It could be talked about, though. I also needed to tell her about what had happened to me, but every time I got near her my mind fogged over. She was too damn sexy, and whatever my good intentions had been when we were apart, the moment she was in the room my wolf was panting after her like the animal he was.

I blamed my wolf for that, although it wasn't like I put up any real resistance.

Like right now. We were in the living room of my trailer, and I was sitting in my favorite chair after a long day of work, and she was straddling me, pressing her softness up against my straining dick. Her arousal smelled inviting, her mouth was sweet on my own, and every part of me wanted to rip off her clothing.

Was this the time for talking?

We would talk about all the important stuff, the past and the future.

Later.

I doubted I could form coherent words even if I wanted to with all the blood abandoning my brain.

I pulled her shirt off over her head and feasted my eyes on her bra. It wasn't a fancy thing, very practical, but I didn't care about that. Her hard nipples pushing against the cloth were as much decoration as the garment needed, and I admired them, imagining just what I could do with them and with her. She was perfectly responsive to me, and her proportions were deliciously generous, and her reaction to my touch made me want to sink into her that second. The fact that I knew what she felt like made it worse because I specifically craved the sensation even more.

I lifted her to her feet and turned her, fully intent on bending her over the coffee table.

"Alpha?"

I stifled a groan at the sound of my delta's voice. I just wanted an uninterrupted lifetime with my mate, was that so much to ask? I should have refused the alpha position when they'd all been badgering me to take it.

Carrie looked at me with a question in her eyes, obviously wondering about the interruption.

I put my time in running the pack and helping with the business, so they knew not to bother me in my off hours. That meant this was important. "What is it, Randy?"

"There's a vampire on the territory."

"What?"

Carrie turned and sat on the coffee table and was watching me mind link. She still looked blazingly hot in just her bra, but it was obvious that the moment was over.

"Once we caught him he said he wants to speak with the alpha."

Of course he did. I stood up, still achingly hard, although the serious business would extinguish my excitement, at least until I was back with Carrie again. "Tell him I'm coming, and send out patrols to secure the rest of the border just in case he's got some mischief planned."

Then I turned to my patiently waiting mate. "There's a vampire."

Her forehead furrowed. "Vampire? What do they want?"

"To talk to me, apparently."

She stared me down. "I'm coming with you."

Of course she thought that, and of course I hated the idea. But it didn't surprise me. I already knew her well enough to know that she wasn't the reserved sort of female who would sit back and look pretty while I did everything for the pack. I wasn't complaining, since I liked her as she was, but contrarily my wolf also wanted to lock her up somewhere nice and safe. But those protective instincts would just get me into trouble with her again, so I kept my mouth firmly shut.

She pulled on her shirt.

"Are you sure you wouldn't rather stay here?" I could only hope.

"Absolutely not."

I sighed. I wasn't surprised.

She paused and met my eyes. "I used to be a scout, I can handle myself in a fight."

If there wasn't a vampire threat on my territory, I would have paused to appreciate that she had finally told me something about her pack life before she lived surrounded by humans, but I'd think about that later.

For now, I had to deal with an invading bloodsucker.

Randy gave me directions, and my mate and I headed out the door.

—————

Author's Note:

Fell asleep on the couch editing last night before I posted this. Whoops!

So, this is for yesterday, and the next update is for today. Thanks for reading!