12 Fight

Carrie

Hours later, I still couldn't believe that I had issued a challenge against the luna.

"What am I going to do?" I moaned as I sat on Anna's couch with another bottle of wine.

"Well, you issued a challenge, so I guess you're going to fight," my ever logical Samantha said.

Anna gave her a bit of a warning expression, like she was concerned I'd get upset.

I groaned. "No, Anna. She's right. I lost my temper and now I just have to deal with it."

Samantha frowned. "Still, it's understandable. I can't believe he said that in front of you. I mean, you're still a part of his pack, even if he's transformed into an absolute insensitive piece of shit. It's his responsibility to take care of his members, just as it's our duty to respect him. I still can't believe he was making you teach her. Of course the situation would blow up in his idiotic face. The male's clearly thinking with his wolf, or maybe another part of his anatomy, but definitely not his brain—if he even has one, which I'm beginning to question."

Even Anna didn't flinch at the disrespect this time. Samantha's rant made me feel a bit better.

I took a swig of wine. "It would have been better if she was even cut out to be luna. She's just so... I can't even hate her. She's sickeningly nice, like an open book. Fighting her is going to be like kicking a pup. And the worst part is that I don't even want the position anymore, I don't want to be his acting luna after all the shit he said. I should have challenged the jerk alpha instead." They didn't bother to respond, we all knew I didn't have the physical strength to take out an alpha.

Anna shrugged. "You could throw the fight."

I sighed. "I'll probably end up banished if I lose." The alpha did not have to do so, but it almost always happened to the losers of such fights to prevent future contention.

I clung to my bottle as if it held the answer to all my problems.

"Maybe it's for the best," Samantha mused. "I can see what you mean about her not being luna material. Maybe there was a mistake this time."

I scoffed.

"You were a great acting luna, Carrie. Already we're starting to run down on a few supplies at the school. Which we can deal with, but what about if it comes to the pack clinic? We could be in real trouble some day."

I sighed. "I told Heidi to do that."

"My point, exactly. She might grow into the position in time, but you're here now. Maybe you're meant to fight this challenge and win."

"Maybe," I said mournfully. The prize of having to deal with Dane for the rest of my life seemed like a nightmare now. He wasn't going to be more reasonable once I stole his mate's position. And I wasn't stupid enough to believe that he would suddenly want me back just because she wasn't luna anymore. I'd be luna in name only, and I'd have the constant drama of the alpha's mate to deal with. Why had I said something so stupid?

I leaned my face down in my hands and groaned.

"You've been a good luna these last few years," Samantha said.

"Acting luna," I corrected.

"You were a luna in every way but the mate bond, Carrie. The pack needs you. Forget about the jerk alpha, just think about the pack."

"Fine," I agreed and returned to the bottle.

"Good," Samantha said, and Anna nodded her agreement. Then my best friend plucked the bottle from my hand.