29 Run

Carrie

We returned to the parking lot, and parked the truck on the far side away from the store near his truck. I had picked the time because it was an hour until closing, so it wouldn't be very busy, but a small group of people talking also wouldn't look too suspicious. Last thing we wanted was the human authorities looking into our pack because they thought we were doing something illegal. We had enough work to do without alpha assembly agents or hunters bothering us about secrecy matters.

Aside from Jason and I, both Porter, Max, and one of the pack's other fighters waited for the rogues to arrive. We were on guard, and my hackles rose when we saw three rather than two rogues walk towards us. While I doubted they would have any chance against the five of us, it still was not what Theodora had suggested.

"The third wasn't mentioned?"

"No," I said, gritting my teeth. I didn't like the bait and switch that was happening.

"We'll hear them out first."

The three walked forward, and Theodora and West bowed their heads submissively towards Jason. The third wolf did, too, but I didn't like the way he shook as he did it.

Jason watched them. His usual easy manner had melted away leaving power in its place. "Who are you?" he asked.

"I'm Theodora Walker, and this—"

"I'd like them to answer for themselves as well, Theodora."

"Yes, Alpha."

"And who are you?" he asked West.

He looked nervous, but he responded. "I'm West Tyndale, Alpha."

Jason went on to the last. "And you?"

"Nash Tyndale." He shivered.

Jason turned back to Theodora. "And why didn't you tell my mate about the third member of your group?"

Theodora glanced at me nervously, realization dawning in her eyes. "We'd been separated for weeks and gave up looking for him. He found us this afternoon, shortly after I had already spoken to you...Luna."

"How did you get separated?"

"We fell in with some rogues and they backstabbed us, Alpha."

"Think it's true?" he asked me.

"Her breathing is steady, she's making eye contact, so probably."

Jason looked at Theodora. "Why did you leave your pack?"

She answered without missing a beat. "West is my mate. About a year ago I discovered him just outside Bluegorge's border while on patrol, but my alpha would not let him join, so I went with him—and his brother."

He turned to the males. "And you two? How did you come to be rogues?"

Nash answered. "We were kicked out of Rustknoll after our father tried to overthrow the alpha."

"How long ago was that?"

"More than ten years."

"How old were you?"

West supplied the next answer. "I was ten and Nash was thirteen."

"Were you involved in the challenge to the alpha?"

"No," West said quickly. Nash repeated his brother's response.

"And I have one final question for each of you. How many people have you killed? Werewolves, humans, hunters, vampires, whatever?"

"I've helped bring down a couple of feral rogues while on patrol," Theodora said, looking like she regretted the answer.

Nash met Jason's eyes challengingly. "I've killed to survive."

West sighed. "I've had to kill rogues who attacked me, but never humans."

Jason stared at them silently for a long uncomfortable moment. I was immune, but I could tell that he appeared intimidating, because all three shrunk in upon themselves a bit, the mated pair moving closer together protectively.

"Should we give them a chance?" he asked.

"We could. I don't think she likes Nash though."

"He is the wildcard of the three."

"I can't figure out his motives. I think Theodora misses pack life, West wants to be with her, but what does his brother want? Is it family loyalty? Something else?"

"We'll take the risk then, and watch them closely?"

I nodded.

"I'll allow you to join the pack on a trial basis. If you prove trustworthy, you'll be allowed to join fully in time. Betray us...you can imagine the punishment for betrayal."

"Thank you, Alpha," Theodora said, bowing her head again. The other two followed her lead.

Porter took over, asking if they had a vehicle, and arranging what they would need. Jason drew me away, back to his truck, leaving my car for Max to drive.

I glanced over at him. "You make a good alpha," I told him, conversationally.

He laughed at my response. "Right. I manage."

"You manage well. You direct the power of the pack as well as any alpha I've met, when you want to."

"Thanks, babe."

"I'm not saying it to be nice. I'm saying it because I know it's true."

"I know. If we weren't driving I'd thank you properly."

"Always that, huh?"

"Don't pretend you don't like it, babe."

I couldn't entirely hide my smile. "Maybe."

"Just maybe? Guess I'll have to re-prove it to you again when we get home."

—————

Since it was nearing the full moon, there were a couple of wolves wandering around the territory when we got home. It wasn't unusual, we all got antsy about a half a week around the night when the moon reached its brightest.

My wolf was excited to run with him under the full moon, but she wouldn't complain about a chance to do it sooner.

As soon as the vehicle stopped, I walked towards our home, and then past it. "Where are you going?" he asked.

I shot him a challenging look over my shoulder as I strode into the thicker trees. "Come on, Jason. Let's go for a run."

He followed me. I caught his eye as I pulled off my shirt and pants, and then dropped my underwear on the ground. Then I shifted into my wolf, and dashed away without even waiting a second.

I ran for a full five minutes without any evidence that Jason was following me. I slowed, wondering if he had decided not to come along with me. I could have mind linked him and asked him, but there was no way I was doing that.

Inwardly pouting a bit, I slowed to a trot and inspected the area. I had already explored a lot of this terrain in the past, but I had never been to this particular part of the river. I bent my head down to lap at the water, and then I continued on. Minutes passed and I remained alone.

Well, this hadn't gone as planned. I huffed and began to make my way back in the direction of Jason's, or rather, our home, circling the trees.

I heard a snap, and turned my head in the direction of the sound, eyes raking the underbrush. It was probably nothing, maybe a squirrel or some other similar critter, and absolutely nothing to worry about.

Or maybe it was something else, something more worrisome. I moved away cautiously, keeping my senses sharp, but finding nothing else amiss.

I'd nearly convinced myself everything was in my imagination, when a menacing growl broke through the forest.