44 Professional

Carrie

We were just about ready to leave. Our bags were packed and loaded in the vehicles, and everything was ready to go. A number of our pack were waiting to see us off.

"Good luck," Porter said through our link. He was nowhere in sight, probably in his trailer keeping an eye on his reluctant mate. Amanda hadn't caused a single problem since I had promised to give her the means to rid herself of the bond when I returned. Not a single problem, unless I counted the way she was driving Porter crazy with her refusal to let him get close to her.

"You too," I repeated. It seemed he was going to need it as much as we did, and I really hoped that he would win Amanda over. She was stubborn in her wariness, but at least she was definitely attracted to him, so he had a good place to start.

Among the others who were waiting, Kain stood holding the squirming pack baby in his arms. She had started crawling a week ago, and yanking on the hair of any unlucky victim who got too close to her chubby fingers was her new favorite activity. She was currently trying to make Kain bald, but he just unwound her fingers from his dark hair as if he barely even noticed what she was doing.

She yanked another handful.

"Rosella, no," he muttered to her as he put her down on the ground. She immediately tried to escape. She was fast considering she had just barely started, and seemed keen to make a break for freedom. Kain reached down and held her up a foot off the ground, her legs and arms still moving as if she could crawl away through the air. He rolled his eyes at her attempt.

Kain scowled. I would have sworn he hated babysitting, except that he always seemed willing to watch the little creature whenever her parents were both busy with other pack business, and he was proud to support the pack. He just didn't want anyone to know, but sometimes I'd get a hint of his emotions through the pack connection. Maybe it was only obvious to me because I was the luna, but I didn't out him.

Maybe he'd want to get an education degree and be a teacher. I'd have to ask him. If he wanted that, I would make it happen. I could picture it clearly, Kain in a classroom, with a mate and three adorable pups of his own at home. I wanted the kid to be happy in spite of his traumatic past.

We just had to get through these next few challenging days first, then I could fully focus on Glenshadow at last.

I did my best to reassure our pack members on last time, before we got in the car with Delta Randy and Lee. We drove out of the territory and onto the main road.

—————

The trip was tense, uncomfortable, and long. Thanks to the pup I was carrying, we had to stop for more washroom breaks than was convenient. The guys took turns driving. I could have too, but I preferred to spend the trip going over everything that could possibly happen during the convention, just in case there was something I had missed.

We arrived at the center after hours of driving. There was an adjoining hotel where all the assembled alphas stayed. I had been there once before along with Asshole Dane, but since I hadn't been official luna I hadn't really done much besides enjoy the hotel and swim in the pool...and had substandard—although I hadn't recognized it as such at the time—sex with my biggest mistake.

Now that I had Jason, and he knew about my past, it didn't hurt as much to think about my ex's rejection. What did I care that the stuffy alpha had wanted the flouncy little cheerleader when my vastly superior mate preferred me?

I didn't care at all. I was satisfied. Especially after Jason got me alone in our hotel room.

Which thankfully was free, along with our food, since we had been summoned. It was the least they could do, considering they dragged us here for such a ridiculous reason. Our pack couldn't afford to waste money on something so frivolous. Once we got ourselves more situated, things would be different. I put my hand on my stomach, and silently promised our baby that I would give it the best life that I could. No stuck up group of alphas was going to get in my way of doing that.

If they tried to stop us, we would ignore them. Even if they tried to physically disband us, I vowed that we would simply move and start again where they wouldn't bother us. We could hide amongst the humans and build up our resources there if necessary.

"I wish it were tomorrow already...and also that it would never come," I commented to my mate as I got ready to go down for a late supper in the hotel dining room.

"Or that it was over?"

"That would be nice. Although they better rule in our favor."

"Or they'll face your wrath?"

"Exactly." I was joking, but also not.

Jason navigated me to the elevators. "It's almost like you've been here before," I joked.

"Probably because I have. Former delta, remember? I went along a couple of times with Glenhaven."

I always felt guilty when I brought up old memories of his lost pack. I wondered if he felt the same whenever I thought of Asshole Dane as the elevator slipped down, the numbers lighting as we passed each floor. "Makes sense." I didn't remind him that I too had been there before.

We arrived at the restaurant in short order, and were seat by an extremely pretty blond werewolf with a curving form and a friendly smile. I watched her very carefully with a jealousy I was not willing to acknowledge, but she remained entirely professional. She deserved a good tip, we could splurge on that at least, even if the rest of the cost was charged back to the courtesy room.

She left with our orders and Jason grinned at me. "Jealous, babe?"

"No. Absolutely not. She seems a great waitress."

"Is it her waitressing skills or her not hitting on me skills that you prefer most?"

"It's her impressive professionalism."

"So both?"

"You are so unbelievably cocky."

"What's not to be cocky about?"

I rolled my eyes and tried to hide my smile.

"I haven't heard many cock related complaints from you, babe. I think you like it."

I laughed at his shamelessness. The sound was loud, and I quickly reined myself in. We weren't the only people in the restaurant, but it was fairly quiet, most groups using their own mind links to speak. Why use verbal words when they could be so easily overheard by sensitive ears in other packs?

While the members of the Alpha Association worked together civilly, no one ever forgot that there were plenty of competing interests amongst the different parties. I'd barely gotten a glimpse of it when I had been here with Asshole Dane, but it had been enough to observe the way different factions formed and moved.

I didn't know enough to be able to determine who to talk to, so our arguments against Bluegorge's false accusations would have to stand on their own.

"Don't worry, it'll be fine," he said, since I had probably been leaking worry at him again. I strengthened my defenses and nodded at him. I knew he had his own concerns and was trying to shield me from them.

"You're right." I paused, my bladder making itself known. "I'll be right back, I just have to run to the washroom."

He nodded. I quickly left the restaurant, and pushed open the door to the ladies' room. This kid was certainly going to make sure I had a tour of every washroom at the convention centre. How was the little creature affecting me already? It was probably smaller than a bean or something.

A pair of startled blue eyes met my own.

Oh shit.